1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender bass you have modded out or have a true custom shop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by descendent22, Feb 6, 2016.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Post pictures and description of your fender that you bought stock and totally modded out, or a fender you had made from the custom shop.

2. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
  3. So far my top three favorite ones that I have modded are:

[​IMG]
    The original neck had issues so I swapped it for an Allparts that I shaved to fit me and added Barts, a ToneStyler and painted the BA black. It's also the one that started all of my crazy painting sideline.

[​IMG]
    MIM P Refinished the ugly blue in a golden flake w/ matching headstock

[​IMG]
    MIJ Sunburst Jag - It was totally worn out when I got it. New preamp and a facelift also a keeper. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    Gaolee, Mosstone, Helix and 8 others like this.
  4. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    20150809_201938.

2001 MIM Jazz. This bass has been modded so much, the only original parts are the body and the wiring/control plate. Everything else has been replaced, sometimes twice. Current aftermarket/replacement items are:

Fender '62 reissue pickups
    Fender Vintage bridge
    Fender '64 tort pickguard
    Fender 2012 MIM Jazz neck
    Hipshot Xtender
    Dunlop Straploks
    And last but certainly not least, the spare neck plate from my Nate Mendel P, the "FF" one:

Lindi4.

FrankenFender :)

Once the tax return comes in, she's going to get a final (well, maybe final) round of updates. The tuners are from at least two different MIM basses, and they stink. Going to pick up some Hipshot replacements. And, the electronics need a ton of work, pots crackle, jack is intermittent. Might just replace the lot. Still mulling that one over but at the moment she's not gig worthy.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    IMG_0921A.
    Upgrades:

Black Hipshot Tuners
    Black string hold-down
    Bone Nut
    Frets Levelled and recrowned
    Fingerboard edges rolled
    Macassar ebony pick guard, black screws
    Sadowsky noiseless pickups
    Sadowsky preamp
    Customized Gotoh bridge
    Black control plate
    Side-mount jack
    Dunlop Strap Locks
    Full cavity shielding

6. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    This started out as a 2004 MIM P. I gave it a Fender Classic 50's neck, DiMarzio model P, Badass II, new pots, Jack, pickguard, and Dunlop strap locks.
    IMAG0106. IMAG0059.

Mosstone, Helix, FunkĀ³ and 3 others like this.
  7. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What's the hipshot extender ?

8. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    20150711_154254.

Otherwise known as a D Tuner :)

9. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Duh, I knew that lol

crucislancer likes this.
  10. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Here's a couple of modded Fenders. The first is the MIM seafoam green PJ FSR. This bass was beautiful stock, but a little porky weighing in at 9 lbs 2 oz.

1a.JPG

I put it on a weight-loss program and changed the tuners, the bridge, the knobs, and the neck plate. Now it weighs a much more attractive 8 lbs 7 oz.

2a.JPG 3a.JPG

11. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    The next one started out as a Japan-only loaded Aerodyne body. I added a Mighty Mite maple P neck with Ultralite tuners, replaced the pickguard, replaced the knobs, and replaced the bridge saddles. This resulted in a one-of-a-kind nice-playing, lightweight Aerodyne.

Aero body. 14.JPG 15.JPG

JamWithEggs, Mosstone, cvsurg and 4 others like this.
  12. Fender Custom Shop before, with honey blonde finish and P/J, and after, in Dakota red and Lindy Fralin humbucking SCPB: October 2006 009 - Copy. Bass after refin 005.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  13. looks to be a BT7

14. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    American Standard Jaguar Deluxe, refinished in Inca Silver with a matching headstock. Since this photo was taken, I've added a Badass III bridge and a Nordstrand NJ4SV. Jag Bass Full.

15. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204

I'm loving that Dakota red. I'm assuming the body was replaced? Who made/finished it?

16. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Yup! Going to pick up 3xHB7 tuners as soon as money is available to match the BT7. Those old MIM tuners aren't doing the job anymore.

JR Roxx likes this.
  17. Actually, it is the same body. Sean at Southbound Customs in Nashville plugged and re-routed the body for me, as well as doing the refinish. I'm really happy with the results.

Forgot to add in my earlier post that the bass had a '51-style 2-saddle bridge that I replaced with a Fender 4-saddle bridge. The original stacked knobs and pots have been replaced with standard pots, as well.

securedownload - Copy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    TDR1138 likes this.
  18. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    This started out as a pawnshop VI
    image.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have had quite a few over the years but these two are my favourites, the P will never go on the block as it was my first Fender and the Jaco is pretty unlikely to ever go on the block.

The Standard P (MIM) has Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's, used to be Quarter Pounders, with a Bad Ass bridge, Tusq nut, Hipshot tuners with Xtender, thumb rest by the bridge, all gold hardware right down to the screws, obligatory tort guard, and an oiled and waxed neck.

The Jaco has an epoxied board, Lindy Fralin's with swapped pots, 2 linear and 1 audio taper 500k CTS, Hipshot ultralites with Xtender, and an oiled and waxed neck.

Both basses have been well shielded but I don't consider that a mod, I consider that making the usable.

Attached Files:

20. image.

I changed my white Pickguard for a black one last week.

I also intend to replace the knobs and tuners for (non-chrome) black and the bridge with a black high mass one. Maybe also black strings if I find suitable black flat wounds that don't make my bass sound too thumpy.

Then I will buy a candy apple red jaguar and repeat the process.

Red and black is a combination that pleases me.