Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jphase88, Mar 16, 2005.

1. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    What is the Diffrence between a Fender Standard Jazz bass and a Fender Delux Jazz Bass? Where are they made? Are they worth the money? What are some Pro's and Con's?

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Ok Let me explain.........
    Price (about)
    Standard Jazz bass=Pasive pickups & Made in Mexico $400
    Active deluxe Jazz bass=Active Pickups & Made in Mexico $600

American Jazz Bass=Passive pickups & made in USA $900
    American Deluxe Jazz Bass=Active Pickups & Made in USA $1300

Then you also have Precision basses which are usually about the same price and are Mexican / American & Active/Passive its the same system

and also if you didnt already know there are way more different variations of these basses that you can get these are just the four basic ones people get.

and to answer your other questions yes they are worth it Fender makes great basses but I would recomend going with an american made unless this is your first bass or your on a budget.

PROS & CONS are active pickups give you more options sound wise giving you the ability to adjust Treble , Bass , Mids etc. but it also needs a battery(which isnt really a big deal) Passive pickups do not need bateries and you canot play with the sound as much as with an active bass but many people say the passive basses have a disticnct sound which an active bass cant create.

I am not great at the active passive thing so you might wanna leave that to someone else

ELLIOTT

3. OK. The Fender Standards and Deluxes (not the Americans) are all made in Mexico. The differences between the two different models are basically the upgrades on the deluxes:

Better hardware, noiseless pickups, and active pickups, if memory serves thats it. I suspect that they are best worth the money if you TRY one first. Mexican Fenders can have hit-or-miss consistency between instruments.

EDIT: Beat me to it by 2 minutes!

4. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    this will be my second bass. and im kina on a budget. dont really want to spend over 600 for a bass. I only play on weekends [Saturdays, Sundays] I only play bass for my church. I did want the American jazz basses but they were too expensive for my budget :bawl:. i like smooth bass tones so would the fender delux jazz work fine with me?
    -[edit]-
    What type of warrenty does fender basses come with?? :confused:

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Fender basses have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser for defects in materials or workmanship (or something like that). I had a good experience with Fender's warranty support. They promptly replaced the neck on my American Series Jazz when it developed a twist after about five months.

If you like smooth, go with the deluxe, which has active preamp/EQ. I prefer passive basses, but if smooth is your thing, go active. In fact, you have a couple of other Fender options in your price range, the Deluxe Zone and Deluxe P-Bass Special, both of which are active and have P/J pickups. I was very impressed with the Deluxe Zone when I tried one for a few minutes.

As with all basses, play as many examples as you can. Find the one that sounds the best acoustically, and hopefully plays well too. But remember that many playability issues, such as high action, can be cured with a good setup. If you buy from a reputable place, they should be willing to do that for you.

6. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    There is only one american fender you can get with that kind of money and it is called a Fender Highway 1 Jazz bass its a step down from a normal USA jazz. It is just an American Fender striped down w/ cheaper pickups , hardware etc. so if you got one of those you could always upgrade with the same parts as a normal USA Jazz or even better so that might be a good way to go. Also you will probably hear alot on this site about The Geddy Lee Jazz bas which apparently is an unbelievable bass for the money and is made in Japan which is the next best thing from an American , so I would go and check those out! :bassist:

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    There is only one american fender you can get with that kind of money and it is called a Fender Highway 1 Jazz bass its a step down from a normal USA jazz. It is just an American Fender striped down w/ cheaper pickups , hardware etc. so if you got one of those you could always upgrade down the road with the same parts as a normal USA Jazz or even better so that might be a good way to go. Also you will probably hear alot on this site about The Geddy Lee Jazz bas which apparently is an unbelievable bass for the money and is made in Japan which is the next best thing from an American , so I would go and check those out! :bassist:

8. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    so would you recommend a Fender Highway 1 over the Fender Delux Active Jazz Basss?

9. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    You could get a nice used american jazz for your pice. Never played a highway one though so i cant help you their.

10. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Check your local stores---you can get a used American Standard or its replacement, American Series Jazz or Precision for between $550-650, in excellent condition. Ebay is slightly more expensive, but for your price range, go used and you'll have a bass that will last your lifetime.

I recently bought an American Series jazz in almost niew condition for $550. The stickers were still on the pickguard. At the same time the store had a teal jazz with maple fretboard for slightly less money. It was in gorgeous shape, too. They are there to be found. Don't use a store like Guitar Center as a guide, though---they get a premium for their used items, which is the reason they have the same used gear for months at a time.

Andrew

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I wouldn't recommend the Highway 1 over the American Series Jazz. I think the American Series is worth the extra money, and you could get a good used one for about the price of a Highway 1. The Am. Ser. basses have graphite reinforced necks, through body stringing option, better pickups and hardware, and hardshell case. Some think the thin finish on the Highway 1 allows the wood to breathe, and thus sound better. They definitely provide a bona fide J tone, but I think the hardware on the Am. Series is worth it.

The Geddy Lee might be a better option. It's made in Japan, and I think the hardware and pickups are closer to the American Series. No wonder it's one of Fender's best sellers. There's also the Japanese-made Aerodyne Jazz which has P/J pickups, and is a very nice bass. I seriously considered one before I bought my Am. Ser. Jazz.

Still, these are all passive options, and if you want a really smooth sound, go active. But you should try them all. Maybe you'll find you prefer more vintage tones, as I did after my brief flirtation with a modern active bass.

12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Do you have any good local shops that cater to used equipment?Many towns like the one I live in have amp shops and repair guys that sell used equipment from guys alot like the people on this forum.Many of us are equipment junkies and have 10 basses in the closet, and sometimes it is time to clean out the closet.These are the times when people in your situation can get an unbelievable deal on a great bass.Many of us have put together basses using premium parts and upgrades and then sell them for a fraction of what they cost to make.If you are not in a hurry, see if there is a spot like that near you.You may be in for a pleasant surprise.

13. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    The only way you're going to know is to try them out at your local store. Personally, I went for the Highway One because it felt good to me and gave me the deep sound I needed. I liked it better than the Aerodyne, which was quite a bit more money.

And, as has been pointed out above, you can mod the Highway One at your leisure. I'm already thinking about putting a Badass II bridge on mine, maybe some Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups. Those will be nice things to do someday, but they're not necessary to making it a good playable instrument.

Good luck!

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd say your best option is probably a Geddy Lee Jazz, or a Highway 1, if you can't find a used USA Fender.

The Mexican Fenders CAN be good, but they're inconsistent. I'd be really afraid of buying one without playing it first. Some are really good, some are poorly made. You are much more likely to get a quality bass with the Geddy Lee or the USA basses.

To get a great Fender, as with all production basses, you really need to try before you buy, to make sure you're getting a good one and not a lemon.