1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender basses and the price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wishforbass, Nov 13, 2017.

1. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Today I was searching about basses and their price .
    I found out fender basses start from 1450 $ the american ones and go to 2000$ the american elite .

But my question is ,are fender basses over price ?

Because Ibanez tip line is around 1100$ to 1500$ .

Does american elite have that kins of quality that cost 2000$ or kind of fender get brand name price from it too .

2. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    I don't really get the overpriced thing. Are there brands that offer cheaper US made basses than the US made Fenders?

3. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Iranian bass market is very different from the American bass market. Basses cost more and the price disparity between manufacturers is also very different. If it's worth it to you than it's worth it. Value in this situation is subjective.

joebar, JakeyBran, Randy Ward and 3 others like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    @wishforbass, I don't mean to be at all disrespectful or culturally insensitive, but you do realize you're talking to a primarily American and partially European group of people right? Your threads about cost and value don't really compare to what we pay for the same items, which sometimes leads to confusion for those who aren't already familiar with your situation.

SirMjac28 and wishforbass like this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Music Man
    Keisel
    Valenti
    Lakland
    G&L

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    el_Bajo_Verde, pudge, JeffC23 and 4 others like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    Next time you consider Fender, do yourself a favor and buy G&L.

7. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    ^^^This. I have had several nice Fenders, but my American-made G&L LB100 is miles better. It was slightly more $$$ than an American Fender, but I did get it with several personalized options. It was well-worth the small premium, imho.

8. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    IIRC, the Ibanez Adam Nitti signature bass retails at $7000.00

gebass6 likes this.
  9. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yes.

A new brand not known to too many bass players. It's called Gibson.

My apologies to OP for derailing the thread.

Metaluna likes this.
  10. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Kindly take note of my location and have a look at prices in Europe. The cheapest MMs are slightly more expensive than an American Pro P or J. G&L's are roughly the same price or more expensive, though the JB-2 can be found for slightly less. And there are Skylines more expensive than US made Fenders. Valenti and Kiesel are not even readily available.

This one I'll concede. :D It's also true for quite a few Gibson guitars as well.

11. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 12:54 AM
    StayLow likes this.
  12. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    I don't know about Fender basses but I think in 2010, US Fender Strats were $1000. Were they worth $1000 back then? Everything goes up in cost :( Maybe P Basses will be like $2000 in 2025.

13. wishforbass

wishforbass

Jun 23, 2016
    Iran
    Well it is in Iran .
    Fender american elite p bass is 2367$.
    And a normal Mexican one is 1000$.

14. sbpark

sbpark Supporting Member

May 26, 2010
    Some are willing to pay the asking price, while others aren't. For those willing, then they aren't overpriced, and for those who don't want to pay, then yes, they are overpriced.

gebass6 and HauntedDave like this.
  15. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I slightly disagree with this...not all of it though...mostly about the G&L and Music Man.

G&L’s JB5 Base price is about $1649...Fender’s AmPro JV is $1599 for black, $1699 for Natural.
    Add options to the G&L like block inlays and neck binding, you get into Fender’s Elite JV price range of $2100...

A Stingray 5 Base price is about $1799 for black and $1899 for Natural finish
    Special edition models and Classic models are around $2k+ give or take...

You can definitely put together a bare bones Keisel for $1000-$1200, but fancy options add up quick.

Last time I checked, Lakeland’s were up there, too...
    I thought Nino does top-notch work for a $2k+ instrument..???

16. peavey!

SirMjac28 and gebass6 like this.
  17. mantaraya

mantaraya

Apr 10, 2007
    Ok, so Fender are overpriced..... So you really think there are the good and altruist companies charging you the right Price and the bad evil companies that charge ridiculous amounts for? Dont you think if overpriced would be a Fender category wouldnt be buried by the nice and good consumer considered ones?
    Why people dont complaint about Idonesian $1700 Laklands or the USA $1700 EBMM Sterling by Musicman "clons" of $500 but about a $1500 USA Fender. Not defending or justifying Fender just being fair with all them
    Always the Bad Fender and the good and altruist EBMM and Lakland........:rollno::rollno::rollno:

Midak, steamthief and sbpark like this.
  18. Try to find some places that will let you rent basses out for a night so you can try them live with a band. That will give a better picture about whether you think price is worth it. You may like your Yamaha bass better. Or not.

ajkula66 likes this.
  19. sbpark

sbpark Supporting Member

May 26, 2010
    I love Fenders. I own a couple Telecasters, two Precisions, a Rumble 500 V3 and a Blues Jr. Have owned a slew of vintage fender amps and countless other Fender guitars including everything from Classic Vibe Squiers to AVRI's. With that said, given the availability of used Fenders out there and that fact that it's a buyer's market, I really see no reason to buy any new Fenders. Unless you have zero patience and just need that bass NOW, you're better of searching for something used. I've scored some great deals on used instruments by being patient and having cash in hand.

JeffC23 and bdplaid like this.
  20. Sounds like a bargain!
    Here in Oz an American Elite P bass is $3300.
    A Fender Standard P with rosewood board is $1130
    For comparison, a Rickenbacker 4003 is $3800