Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender basses-where are they made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by princeadr, May 11, 2005.

1. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Can anyone tell me which basses are made in Japan as opposed to Mexico and the US? I believe the Standards are made in Mexico and the American I would assume made in America. Which ones are made in Japan? I've heard their build quality is supposed to be pretty good. Does anyone have any personal experience with any of the Japanese basses?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The Marcus Miller Signature jazz basses are made in Japan and kick all kinds of booty.

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Quite a few signature instruments have been made over there. And yes...they kick all kinds of arse :D

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Easy: If the stock number starts "025-" it's Japanese.

Even the export MIJs like the '51RI and the Sting are built and detailed far better than either MIA or MIM Fenders. The domestic-market FJs from Ishibashi are even better.

5. Basically, the standard models, classic series (besides 51 P), deluxe series, and Mark Hoppus and Mike Dirnt basses are made in Mexico. The Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller 4, Sting P, and 51 P are all Japanese. The Americans (series, deluxe, vintage) and most artist basses, as well as the Highway 1s are made in the USA.

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Aerodyne is made in Japan. As a matter of fact, there are two versions ... one for export and another for the Japanese market.

The export version (which I prefer and own :hyper: ) has a smooth top while the Japanese market has a pickguard.

7. There's one I forgot!

You should also know that many more Japanese basses are made for a domestic, Japanese market. They aren't sold in stores here, and have to be imported from Japan through a Japanese guitar shop. However there's tons of selection, basses of all shapes and sizes, for low to high prices. Interesting stuff that is supposedly built quite well.

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Here's another one not mentioned yet that is made in Japan and sold here in the US:

the Mustang reissue

9. princeadr

princeadr

Apr 29, 2005
    Is there any consensus that Fender basses made in Japan are better or worse than US made basses by Fender? I am assuming that both are better than the Mexican versions.

10. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Most that comment will put the MIJ basses "as good as" the USA models. It would be politically incorrect to say better, but they are head and shoulders above the MIM models.
    I have an '87 MIJ P-Bass and it is awesome!!!

11. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan