fender basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sam larson, May 20, 2005.

1. sam larson

sam larson Guest

May 20, 2005
    i'm looking for a new bass. fender is the sound i'm looking for. a nice round sound similar to bobby vega or oteil burbridge. i was wondering what years are good for both the jazz and p basses? also, the newer fender basses have active pickups and i currently play active. what do you guys think of the new active sound vs. the traditional passive sound in fender basses? thanks

peace and hair grease
  2. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'm gonna try and help here.
    I own a bunch of jazz and p-basses so I think that makes me qualified to speak . There are no "best years" for Fender basses although pre cbs basses (pre 1965) are well sort after. Basses from the 70's have a unique sound unto themselves but may not be for everybody. Newer Fender basses come in passive as well as active, both have their place and one should own one of each. Active Fenders are more versatile and the newer dlx basses have never sounded better! My staple basses are passive, they fit in any musical situation. Now my active basses are my funk monsters (not that the passives aren't funky) but the active controls give you more flexibilty without going back to the amplifier. Only you can answer the question of which is better for you. :)
  3. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Before you lay down your hard earned cash, can you say "Music Man"? Yup, I knew you could. :^>)
  4. Fishman

May 24, 2005
    Hamilton ON
    I recently picked up a new American Standard Jazz, and P (the P has S1 switching). They're both passive, and have maple necks and great tone and playability. I now use them almost exclusively vs my Ric. I don't think you'd be disapointed. I was however not impressed with the Mexican, Highway 1, and active versions. For what it is worth.