Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dr.fender, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Hey yall I've been playin for about a year and someone told me fender 5 string jbasses arent that good...what is a good 5string jazz bass thats about $1100-$1500?? :help:

2. it really depends on the setup of the bass. any fender 5 string is "good" but compared to other 5'ers, it may be considered "bad". I had a deluxe active 5 once, wasn't that shabby of a bass for being made in mexico. got it for about 600.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/search/detail/base_pid/511596/

but if you're keen on spending over a grand, you can get the american version with an alder or ash body.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    My MIA Jazz deluxe 5 is superb, play a few you cant go wrong

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    A fender J bass is a very good jazz bass in that price range. Whoever told you that "fender 5 string jbasses arent that good" can't distinguish between fact and opinion.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's not entirely true. I've played many a lousy Fender Jazz V. However, I hear they've finally gotten their act together with the V and though I haven't tried one yet, I will take your words for it.

All the same, I think I'd rather have a Ken Smith Retro-J 5 or a Roscoe beck 5. Or better yet, forget 5's entirely!

;)

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't forget a VALTENTI!!!

7. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    hmmm I really like my Roscoe Beck V.. and more importantly the new owner at Bass Alone in San Diego, played it and said "Nice job Fender..." Good luck finding one though I hear.

8. now did he mean good job fender, or good job catdriver? :bassist:
    the chicken or the egg strikes again!

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Personal experience with Fenders :

70 reissue P-Bass (MIJ), purchased from Ishibashi : excellent++ on all points,

Highway 1 J-Bass : excellent++ on tone, but needed some slight setup straight out of the box

MIA S-1 J-Bass : sounded very poor and action was VERY high. Sounded just decent after a good setup.

In the meanwhile : tried an AM Deluxe P-Bass 5 some time ago, it was perfectly setup and sounded great all the way down to the low B.

Lesson taken : I'll never buy a Fender anymore without trying it before (this means no mail order or online order). But hey that's just my opinion.

About the topic of this thread, the "not so good" thing does not make sense with some brands (Fender included). There is a reason why they sell so many, but the hasardous quality control unfortunately seems to be reality.

10. 5 string Laklands are pretty good from what I hear, I have not had the pleasure to try out a 5 string but the 4s are awesome. I love 4 string fenders but I've never found a 5 that's been worth having. Also look at Valenti

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    May I suggest a used Metro 5 ? :bag: