fender bassman 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slybubbaj, Sep 29, 2002.

1. this is the only amp i have ever owned. its a classic fender bassman 10 tube amp. vintage stuff here. i always got to love having the biggest amp in the room : ) .i get a good sound out of it with my frettless fender jazz, but since it is the only amp ive ever had i was wondering if it can compare to modern day amps and setups, and weather i should get a new amp.
  2. I dig the old Bassman 10, but most bassists hate them and say they're useless for bass since they aren't 1000Watts and don't go very deep. Go try some modern amps just to see what exists today, but don't ever get rid of the Bassman 10. It's a cool sounding amp for low-volume jamming. You'll always come back to it for it's good tone, even if it doesn't shake the walls with 40Hz rumble like an 18" sub speaker.

If it's loud enough for what you are doing, then don't worry about getting another amp. If you need more volume, look into getting another amp, but don't trade in the Fender. You will regret it if you do.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well, modern bass amps usually have some sort of tweeter to extend the frequency response. You may or may not like the sound. Your amp is a 50 (ish) watt tube amp with a ported 4x10 speaker cabinet built in. It should be warm, punchy enough and provide good low end.

If the Bassman 10 is doing all that you want, it's reliable and gives you the sound that you like, why change?
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to have one of those. Wish I still did. With my old 70's Memphis P bass copy, it sounded just like Motown.