Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 100 and new preamp tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Got the head (silverface Bassman 100 head) a few days ago, with intentions of replacing the preamp and driver tubes just because I'd never had a chance to do so before (the only amp I've ever owned was a GK400RB-III, which I have and still love).

I just ordered from the Tube Store 2 GE 5751 preamp tubes. I have a USA 7025 in one of the slots right now, and the other is a no-name 12AX7. I plan on mixing and matching until I find a combination I like. If one of the GEs doesn't get used, I'll hold onto it.

I also got a Mullard 12AT7 for the driver slot, where there is a USA 12AT7 right now. Again, it'll be trying things to see which I like better, and I'll end up with a few extras probably.

The amp has 4 fairly new Ruby 6L6GC STRs in the power section. I've decided to keep these in for a while, as I might turn this amp into a tinker amp this summer vacation and do something evil with the power section.