Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 100, and/or 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timbo, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hi guys,
    I have a Spector Rebop 5, and a backline 110 amp.. It doesn't handle a low B for at all once its past 3 or 4, and it doesn't have a horn. I'm on vacation today, so I just decided, what the hell might aswell take a stroll in a music shop. So I picked up a random Ibanez bass and plugged it into a bassman 100 amp. I was blown away by the slap tone.. But to the point, will they be able to handle the low B well? And is the horn inside that cabinet big enough? It's only 4 inches I believe, and I wasn't playing loud at all. Oh yeah, I put both of those amps, because I haven't decided if I want a 200 want amp.. I'm quite sure I don't need one, but hey! :smug: Anyways, sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance..

:edit: Oh yeah, I should probably say I was just using a 4 string bass when I was playing around with it.. If it wasn't obvious.. :p

2. I just bought an Eminence Kappa 15C speaker for my Bassman 100 solid state amp.
    Rated 30hz-2500hz @ 450 watts continuous 102db spl
    It is the only 4 ohm choice Eminence has for the USA in a 15" speaker. This opened up the Bassman100 with loud, articulate tone.
    I had to turn it down in my house. Big difference!
    If you get a Bassman 100 you might try one of these. Nicely priced.

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Sorry, I am illiterate with it really comes to gear.. Could you say that again, but explain what each thing is for me.. I'm sorry.. :crying:

4. Sent you a private message with a reply.
    I just bought an Eminence Kappa 15C speaker for my Bassman 100 solid state amp.

Rated 30hz-2500hz
    Range of lows to highs the speaker will produce. 30 hz...very low, 2500 hz mid bass range. By contrast, a guitar speaker might produce 65hz-5000hz...good lows for guitar but not really for bass but will produce much more high frequency needed for guitar but not bass.

@ 450 watts continuous
    The output power of the Bassman 100 is 100 watts of continuous power..meaning it can sustain 100 watts of power. Some rate things in peak power but that is really meaningless to most people as it stands for Peak Instantanious power that only lasts for a small portion of a second really. But the amp cannot sustain that power...so continuous music power is more meaningful here. The original speaker was rated at 150 watts continuous so this speaker can handle 3 times the power and is not likely to burn up in a 100 or 200 watts amplifier.

102db spl
    The original speaker was rated at around 96-98 DB (Decibals) which is the way sound level is typically measured. 102 DB is louder than 96 or 98 DB. SPL stands for Sound Pressure Level...to give you an idea of what we are talking about here...In a crowded room with lots of people talking at once the DB (decibel rating) would be an average of 84 DB. A jet engine would be 120 DB. This is a very effient speaker meaning it takes less power to produce the same amount of sound as the original speaker. This makes them amp sound like it is bigger (higher wattage output) than what it really is.

It is the only 4 ohm choice Eminence has for the USA in a 15" speaker.
    Speaker impedance, some amps use 8 ohms impedance speakers, some 16 ohms, the Bassman 100/200 uses 4 ohms. For proper output, it is important to use the proper impedance speaker or you could either loose volume level or worse, burn the amp up due to overload.

This opened up the Bassman100 with loud, articulate tone.
    This speakers perceived output volume is higher than the original speaker that came with the bassman 100. By Articulate I really am referring to the speakers ability to produce notes played on the guitar with clarity and punch.

I had to turn it down in my house. Big difference!
    If you get a Bassman 100 you might try one of these. Nicely priced.