Fender Bassman 100 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NJXT, Jan 16, 2001.

1. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Well, I may cross the thread by SilverThread (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=10393) but I have several questions about the Fender Bassman 100. I know that some of you guys own(ed) one, or at least tried one.
    BTW, I'm talking about the new Fender Bassman serie, of course.
    I plan to buy one but I was wondering if it is technically possible to plug a cabinet (let's say a 2x10" one) to backup the 1x15" of the combo ?
    What impedance of the cabinet should be ?
    Will the amp take it ?
    Is there any use ?
    Please don't anwser with "drop the combo, get a 300W head and a 4x10"", the Bassman 100 is all I can afford right now and I really need an amp quickly. I'm wondering about the future : could I add a cabinet to it ?
    I've tried SWR WM 15 and Warwick CCL but they are too expansive.
  2. I just bought my Bassman 100 and am loving it. Paired with my G&L L-2500 I get "that" sound I've been looking for. To answer your question, there is no external speaker jack on the bassman. There is an XLR line out with level control and pre/post eq switch, an effects loop and tuner out. I'm not sure why you would need an extension speaker, the 15" and tweeter combo sound great and are plenty loud. I had a Hartke 1410 combo (2X10) prior to this and the bassman blows it away in volume and sound especially with a 5 string.
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Thx for the answer.
    May I ask a few more questions ?
    Do you use it in rehearsals and gigs ?
    What style of music are playing ?
    What other instruments are there in your band ?
    Are they loud ?
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must be wrong, but I thought these were supposed to be guitar amps - what am I thinking of then?
  5. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
  6. I play both at church (light rock sound) and with a jazz/blues group. I use it for rehearsals and line it out to the board at church, we have guitars and electronic drums for services. With the jazz group, guitar, keyboards, acoustic drums I use just the amp and it's plenty loud. I love it! The only other amp in the same class for the money was the SWR Workingmans 12, I went with the Fender to get a 15 that I think fills in the low string better than the 12.
  7. seville8

Sep 8, 2000
    NJXT...I think you were trying to ask if you could drive another cabinet in addition to the speaker in the Bassman..Most combo amps only have an external speaker jack which allows you to use a diiferent speaker other than the one in the combo...BUT ..you can if the combo is bi-amped to allow for the additional speaker but generally you are talkin about big wattage combos that can handle it..Carvin makes a 600 watt 2x10 combo that you can add a 15 or 18 to for the bottom but you are talkin an $800 combo..add the 18 and you are over $1000...I hope this helped you.