Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 100 vs. Rumble 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Oct 6, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Anybody tried these? Im planning to upgrade to a little bigger and better sounding amp. Using a Rumble 15w amp now, looking for some better sound.

2. THe Rumble 100 is a really nice amp for its size and its price - I can't however compare the two - I believe the Bassman might have a better EQ section though...if its the same as the 400 and 800 pro that I've played...

3. brich74

brich74 Guest

I have a Bassman 150 and am happy with it. I use it live (w/ PA support) and it does the job (barely loud enough with my passive jazz bass). The kickback design is a nice touch. The Rumble series is significantly less expensive though and they sell them at Guitar Center. They don't have the Bassman series at the GC here in Flint, MI. My Bassman was about $420 out the door. Ithink the major differences are the EQ, DI output and cabinet construction. The speakers might be different too.

4. Since this is kind of related to the thread, i was wondering if the Bassman 150 was really worth that extra $150 (CND). Will that 50 watts really make that much difference compared to the Bassman 100?

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Make that an extra 50w plus a 12 inch speaker instead of a ten.

If you just need it just for monitoring yourself in a small setting, get the 100. If you think you might try to gig with it, get the 150.

That's my $.02.

:D

Joe.

edit: And also a freindly reminder to fill out your profile. A little info on your musical experience is better than none at all when it comes to answering musical questions..

6. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    The Bassman does have a little better EQ. But Im more concerned about the sound quality. The Rumble 100 has a 15 inch speaker. The Bassman has a smaller speaker, its got a 10". The Bassman 150 has a 12".

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Quality?

Go with the Bassman. The Rumble series is low end stuff and the Bassman series is definitely higher end.

What are your needs? Finding the right amp to fill them might be a better direction to take. That will be the biggest difference in a 10 vs. 15 scenario.

And like I reminded Bass>Guitar, filling out your profile can really help in answering your questions better.

Joe.

8. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    ive played the fender rumble 100, its pretty nice, but not really that loud for giging, and the bassman series have emience speakers which i dotn think the rumble series has, and a better eq and cab construction. personally i woudl say go with the bassman

but thats just my 2 cents

-jake

9. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Joe, I thought the Bassman was considered higher end, but then why are they both the same price? Ive seen em both listed for $300, and for $350 on a few other sites. Granted price alone is definitely not an indicator of quality, but unusual from the same company.

Im planning on using it as a practice amp, and eventually to use jamming with a pair of guitarists. We dont have a drummer set yet. I would think I would want to go up to a 200w+ when/if we get a drummer. But now I am mostly concerned with having a good sounding practice amp. My 15w rumble serves the purpose, but it does sound like crap compared to any larger amp.

Im using a Martin SBX (P-Bass copy), and will be buying a MIM Jazz bass soon. I play mostly classic rock, and 80s metal.

10. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I prefer the sound and EQ controls of the rumble, but we all know the golden rule : try before you buy. ;)

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, lets look at the Rumble 100.
    1. Wattage - No difference
    2. Speaker - a 15 will move significantly more air than a 10
    3. EQ - 4 band
    4. Price - $50 LESS than the Bassman 100.
    5. Pretty lights
    5. DI - Yes

Bassman 100
    1. Wattage - Same
    2. Speaker - 10" Good for self monitoring
    3. EQ - 4 band with Semi Parametric mids.
    4. Price $50 MORE than the Rumble
    5. No pretty lights.
    6. DI - yes

This is a somewhat simplistic list but I don't see a need to get too complicated just yet.

The Rumble looks like it would be more useful so where is the difference?
    1. Construction
    2. Electronics

The Bassman is a smaller, lighter, electronically cleaner amp that moves less air and is more expensive. The Rumble is larger, heavier, less pristine sounding and moves much more air, and is cheaper.

The Rumble 100 is the top of the line Rumble.

The Bassman 100 is the bottom of the line Bassman.

I hope I didn't just confuse you more.

Joe.

12. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Very, very true.

You may LIKE the Rumble's sound better than the Bassman's.

Nothing wrong with that.

Joe.

13. If you can find them, the previous generation Bassman line is pretty good, too, and is being sold now at clearance prices (or maybe they're all gone). The Bassman 100 or 200 were both 15" models, the 100 having a cheaper tweeter and the 200 having a compression horn/driver. I tried one once and liked it. This is before Fender devising the "Fender Bass Amplification" division, with the restyle of the small amp line.

14. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    So would it be safe to say that the 15" Rumble 100 would make deeper, good low bass sound. While the 10" Bassman 100 would make a cleaner sound with better highs?

Am I figuring this right?

15. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    More or less.

I think that would characterize the difference pretty good. But just apply that to these two amps. The opposite is easily possible (referring to speaker size) depending on which amps you are comparing.

Joe.

16. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
  17. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    That chart helped out a lot, thanks. The Bassman is less than half the wreight of the Rumble too, 25 vs 60! only thing I really dont like is that it has a 10" speaker. You cant get much deep bass sounds through a 10". So the dilemma I now have is should I go with the Bassman and likely have better quality sound, or hit the Rumble and have the deeper lows that I prefer?

I'll have to find these and try em out. The local store has a Bassman, but no Rumble.

18. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Cool. Try out the Bassman and see if you like it or not.

You know, it's not that 10's don't put out low bass. They can and do. But in general, except for some very high end cabs, a single 10 won't do it for a band situation. Unless it is a relatively quiet one.

Heck, I have an SWR LA8 (30 watt practice amp) that has a 8" speaker in it and it puts out a great low bass sound, just not very loud. Great for the living room but don't plan on gigging with it unless it is with one or two unamplified acoustic guitars.

Even if they don't have the Rumble, try to compare the Bassman to another 100w combo. You will get the idea.

I am trying to decide between the Rumble 60, Bassman 100 and the Bassman 150. I am trying to balance size with power with performance with features with need.

Arrrgh!!

Joe.