Fender Bassman 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by captainchambers, Jan 4, 2006.

1. captainchambers

Jan 4, 2006
    Has anyone had any experience with this amp? Does anyone own one? I am looking for a bass amp for $350 or less and I have been following this one for awhile, still, no reviews! Thanx...
  2. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I was looking for a combo to do small gigs and practice. I have the MB150E but didn't want to take it out to one of my gigs which was right next to the ocean. So I picked up the Fender Bassman 100 as a throw around amp. At first, I didn't like the sound and it wasn't quite loud enough. My main rig is an Eden and EA setup so the tone just didn't match up. Reading the post here some people recommended the Aphex Bass Exciter to improve loudness and tone on small amps. Well, I picked up one and wow the little Fender now sounds pretty good. I know I'm pushing it but it's just loud enough for practice and that ocean gig and now it sounds not bad. I was even thinking of putting in a better speaker and using it more. Anyway making a long story short, I don't think you can find another inexpensive combo that is only 20lbs and loud enough to do a gig (the MB150 cost twice as much and is 5lbs heavier). Just my two cents.
  3. Well, there's the Ashdown Electric Blue. Can be had for $320 with the 12 inch speaker. More power and Musicians Friend says it weighs 18 lbs (can't testify to how true that is though.)

Without knowing what kind of music you groove to, or how your rig is, I can see some obvious pros and cons on both of these amps, depending on how you swing.

The Fender has the advantage on the connectivity side of things. The DI out has a pre/post switch, a ground switch, and a line level. These are all things that will make soundmen love you, hence you'll sound better at a gig. The kickback feature is cool too. Plus, the Fender also has a more "modern" EQ with the parametric mids and a switchable horn. The Ashdown has a more "old school" approach to the EQ (yes I know about the adjustable high and low mid sections!) and a simple DI out without much control over it.

Is that a bad thing? Personally, I don't think so. People use words like "Warm, deep, and thump" to describe the Ashdowns, and these are all words that excite me in ways I probably shouldn't talk about :D But, it's not for everybody.

The advantages of the Ashdown are, of course: More power, less weight (again, I can't confirm this) and less coin. And for revolutionaries like myself, the knowledge that it's not a Fender :D
  4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Music123 has them for $299.95 but, the weight is all wrong. Ashdown claims 37#, I had one for a while and it weighed 50#!
  5. No kidding? I knew 18 pounds sounded a little too light, but 50 pounds? That's how much the Mag combos are supposed to weigh.

Oh well, at 299, I can take the extra 20 bucks and buy a dolly :D

Anyhow, to return this thread to its proper course, one more advantage of the Ashdown is the fact that it can handle an extension cab. In stock form, the Electric Blue only generates about 120-130 watts of power (which isn't much, but it's still more than the Fender) But, it lets you add the 8 ohm cab of your choice, which costs a little more coin, but gets you more power, and more variety.

With the Fender, you're limited to the stock 10 inch speaker, and while some people like that, personally, I've found a single 10 to sounds pretty lean. Granted, you could disconnect that speaker from the back and play through the cab of your choice, but then you're toting around extra space.

Honestly, I can't find a closer match in terms of power handling and price than these two amps, except maybe an LA Series SWR, but it has some seriously sad EQ and connectivity, so I have a hard time recommending it.
  6. Actually I would steer clear of those reviews. I just went through them (I have no life! :bawl: ) and they either refer to the vintage bassman's or the last generation Bassman combo with the 15 inch speaker. I don't think a single review on there is talking about the amp captainchambers is interested in.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bassman amps are nice. I gigged with a 60 a few years ago (pushed through the PA of course) and it's pretty nice, good solid tone. But now I try to stay clear of combos for various reasons. Though there is this local band that the bassist plays through a huge combo amp and has some kiiiiilller tone. But that's sidetracking. Bassman amps are nice. :D
  8. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I used the Bassman 100 (new 10" version) last night at a small gig with three guitar players. It wasn't a big room and had several flights of stairs so I got lazy and didn't want to haul my eden rig up those stairs. To my surprise, it keep up. I was using an active Musicman 5 Bass and the Aphex Bass Exciter with no PA support. Granted, I was pushing it to it's max but I don't think my GK150 could have done it. The amp was getting pretty hot and I had the volume almost maxed, but for a 100w amp I wouldn't have thought it would keep up with three guitar players using 65w amps. There were times when I thought of going down to the SUV and take out another speaker. I'm probably pushing the amp to much but hey, carrying the bass on my shoulder and the amp in one hand up the stairs was worth it.
  9. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    oops sorry about that, do you mean they are reviewing the black kickback bass mans from about 4 years ago? I wasn't too impressed with those, they seemed under powered or the speakers were easily overdriven?
  10. Yeah, those are the combos. Any bassman combo they refer to is always referred to as having a 15 inch speaker.

I wasn't terribly too impressed with them either. They always felt like they were at their fullest around 2 on the volume. Not a whole lot of output at 2 either.