1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 100T and Fender Neo115 gig report.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armybass, Aug 26, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I grew up in the 80s when bass players were getting tuned in to aluminum cone 10 inch speakers EMG pick ups and light gauge stainless steel strings. We were trying to make the bass as bright and snappy and poppy as possible to extricate ourselves from what we thought was thud and mud tone. Since then we have been on a tonal trajectory that has apparently come full circle in my life at least.

Last night I played a club gig in the basement type dungeon that would be fitting for a movie about the funk brothers in the 60s save the crowd. I used my Fender Bassman 100T which is the second one I purchased this year because I foolishly sold the first one, and a Fender Bassman Neo 115. I also had my G&L JB5 with Labella low tension flatwound strings.

My tone was old-school yet very articulate. I could clearly hear the authoritative thump of the tube power section mainly when I played on the D and the G strings. The notes had a weight and a heft behind them that I was not used to hearing in a solid-state amp in a live setting. My bass tone was inspirational to me if no one else and made my night.

More to come.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  2. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    That's cool, @armybass. Yeah, unfortunately, nobody pays attention to the bass tone like the(a?) bass player.

Which channel did you use? Any overdrive? Deep? Bright? Give us the deets, man, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in that Bassman tone and drift away. . .

:)

Ghostinthemach and armybass like this.
  3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey boss, I only use the vintage channel set "flat" from the suggested 2-10-2 starting point and only stray from that setting to maybe boost the lows up 3 maybe 4. I have a Super Bassman and a Bassman 500 and they are all used in virtually the same manner with the same settings. I intend to incorporate some drive and a nice modern clean tone eventually with these amps because

G-Dog likes this.
  4. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Pics or no gig

armybass likes this.
  5. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    IKR! I can not believe I forgot to take a pic.... lame I know.

6. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Next time. Sexy-ass rig regardless.

armybass likes this.
  7. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Tubes rule for vintage tone. Glad you are finding 'your' signature sound! Would also like pics or your rig.

I predate roundwounds. When they first came along it was Entwhistle, Squire and a few others with that sparkle that caught my attention as a young still on the prowl for that elusive recording contract bassist. I embraced that bright sound and never looked back... till recently. Now, first time in decades I got flats on an AVRI P and have fallen in love with the thump of my youth. I have flats and tubes for the first time in decades. Good stuff.

armybass likes this.
  8. That's ONE of the things I love re the Super Bassman. .. being able to play ANY string, anywhere on the neck, & it STILL has the "authoritahh" to hit hard and remain solid and hefty. Glad to hear the 100T does this too.
    And the Bassman 115 matches well. .imo.. and indeed, does give that old school sound that's warm and round.
    I started gigging in the mid to late 70s. .. and had all tube amps from the get go. .. I couldn't come to grips with that trebley,clanky scooped sound of the late 80s etc. ..
    To me. ..that wasn't 'bass'. Funnily. ..most of those local players that used that tone are using either an Aggy Tone Hammer 500 or Ampeg pf500 etc and GOING for the exact sound I'd used all my life.

armybass likes this.
  9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    You guys have seen us come full circle in in your lives and careers too. It must be a satisfying experience to see so many bassist today hearing the true bass and tone from tube amps and flatwounds. It's not for everyone but I am a man of nostalgia. I play my bass with flats through my tube amp while watching Kojack on Hulu. ;)

Who loves ya baby.

Pics to come.

rodl2005 and TC.65 like this.
  10. It does. And, I, too, have nothing against any bass tone. .. the Warwick Streamer $$5 I've got in the pic above has 5 round wound strings on. ( my other 5'ers have flats on mostly. ..tapes on one iirc.... but even they have a round wound B string as I've not found a flat wound B string I'm happy with. So. ..an old round B goes on. ..and it seems to match up better. .imo.)
    I've got the Labella white nylon tapes on my Gibson EB (2013 model ) and I'm liking them. ..but that's a 4 string.
    It IS funny tho. .. ppl who used to snigger behind my back while I was using my old 70s Fender Bassman 100 in the 80s - 90's are now using the Aggy Tone Hammer. ..pretty much copping the sound I've used all my life. .. of course, with only 4lbs of weight. .
    I've got a TH500 myself. ..and love it. .. it DOES do a GREAT job of getting THAT tone. ..in a 4lb package! !!
    But. ...I'll still (gladly) take my 40lb V4B or 65lb Fender Super Bassman tho... I still can't find THAT tone outta ANYTHING without power tubes. Close. ..real close. ..but, no cigar. :cigar:

armybass likes this.
  11. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Sounds like youre talking about Tommy Stinson a little in the 1st paragraph

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021