Fender Bassman 100w

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ablinow, Jun 26, 2002.

1. ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    I am sort of low on cash and I'm debating between a new Fender Bassman (the one thats around $500) or buying a used head and cab. Does anybody have any good or bad info on the bass man?
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    My buddy has one of those. They are alright, in that they get the job done, but i ( along with most people) are not a fan of fender bass amps. I had the chance to get 2 custom shop fender 4x10s for around $600, but i passed it up. Nice cabs, but they dont sound very good. I found my current setup for $550 head and cab. It is a hartke 7000 head and a hartke 4x10. Look around and you can find good deals.
  3. I own the Fender Bassman 100 (since last christmas). It's good amp but if your playing with a band that is loud...I suggest you save your money for the head/cab. I like the amp and i think it does a good job but it's not loud enough for me. Also what i don't like about it is since i need it louder i try to make it louder but the sound gets distorted too much. I get the master volume all the way up and then the gain a little less then 3/4 all the way up. If i go anymore it distorts and if you switch it (gain all the way up, master 3/4) it distorts even more.
    All in all, if your in a band that is loud...don't buy it. Your just going to be looking for another amp in a year or so (like me). And if you play a 5-string or need a low D, it's not the best but the sound is allright. If you need it for practice or mellow type situations then i would say go for it.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
  4. ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    Thanks for the input, I was never a fan of combo amps anyway.