1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bassman 150 Vs. Line 6 Lowdown 175 Vs. Ashdown MAG-C115-300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, Dec 9, 2006.

1. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi all,

Going to get a new amp for christmas...

Stuck choosing between these 3 amps. Here's some information of each amp i have gathered so far:

Fender bassman 150:

- Full 150 watts WITHOUT the need of an external speaker
    - 12" speaker
    - Only £250!
    - Many controls/knobs to fiddle with

Line 6 Lowdown 175:

- 175 watts... BUT is this runned fully within the amp or do i need an external speaker?
    - 15" speaker = More air moved = more competitive with a drummer and loud guitarist(s)
    - Loads of amp models to mess around with

Ashdown Mag-115-300

- 15" speaker
    - 300 watts but need an external speaker to run the full 300 watts... Without an external speaker, it runs about 180 watts right?- £289 for a 300 watt amp! = Good price
    - The controls/knobs and features on this amp look really basic compared to the Fender and Line 6.
    - I think Ashdown has the most reputation being the best out of the 3... Haven't heard much about Fender bass amps and Line 6 amps are new on the market.

Money isn't really an issue. I play rock/heavy metal/alternative metal. My current bass is a Fender Active Jazz played sometimes in standard and sometimes in FCGC.

Help me choose guys and gurls :meh:

Thanks in advance!

2. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    bump!

3. Ashdown without a doubt.
    Jimi

4. I've used a MAG 250 410 for 4 years without any problems. If you get the 1x15 you can build another cab for about £80 with a Delta 15LF and increase the volume a lot. Ashdown is a British company that's easy to speak to and will help if any problems. Ashdown may look simple but simple = reliable and easy to use. The MAG has a great basic sound. Fender is good ( I have three Fender amps) but I think you pay for the name. Also take a look at Roland, Yamaha and a basic Poweramp, Mixer + Speaker as another option - especially if you're going to use a pedal board.

5. I've a/b'd the Fender and the Ashdown and definately like the Ashdown much more. If anyone knows - is the MAG the same preamp as the Electric Blue series?

6. I think Ashdown have had three lines - the Blue, the Mag and top of the line, ABM. I couldn't justify an ABM so I've a MAG. The Blue has the same knobs as the MAG - so who knows. They are all pretty good and focused on giving players what they want - after all Ashdown have to go up against some pretty big competition, so if they didn't make something special nobody would buy them. There's huge intertia to buy Fender, Peavey, whatever, - the big brands. Ashdown came out of the ashes of Trace Elliot - the guys running Trace sold out to Gibson - and later on got started again with Ashdown - I think with that pedigree, they know what they are doing and are not carrying big overheads that drive up the cost of their gear.

7. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    +1 for Ashdown