Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 200 combo: Bad connection/oxidation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhilMan99, Jun 2, 2005.

1. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've got a 2 year-old Fender Bassman 200 combo. It's the black-face type made just before Fender bought SWR a year or so ago and went "silver-face".

All of a sudden my 200W amp sounded like a 5W amp - almost no power and lots of cheezy fuzz. Opened it up and checked the connections (ribbon cables, etc.) - now it seems fine!

Any of you folks have problems with the ribbon-cables between circuit boards or other wires getting a bit oxidized? Especially Fender Bassman 200 (or 100) combos?

2. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    I have the same combo and I had problems similar to that.

The amp sounded great until one day during a jam it just cut out. I check the jack and the solder was done terribly, so I got a tech friend to look at everything else and it turned out the pots were all horrible and every single solder was bad.

Looks like they didn't care too much to make these quality amps, but they do sound fantastic when working properly.

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Mine did that several times. I took it to a fender licensed tech-input jack went bad. Went bad twice when i had it. After the 2nd time-i decided screw it, and replaced it with my current rig. When it was working-i liked it well enough, but i'm glad it's not my main amp anymore. Currently, it's in pieces in my basement.

That's all

4. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Three of the same amp combo with pretty much the exact same problem.... I'm starting to think I don't want to get the 300 Pro head.

If my Bassman 200 gets any more problems I will ditch it too.

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Didn't Fender buy SWR? Isn't there reason to think "Fender" (Bassman, not Rumble) amps would be better now?

6. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    After checking (and presumably reheating) the solder joints, did yours then work OK?

7. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    It works fine now, although I haven't used it very much since.

But if it fails again, that's it.