Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender bassman 200 or ampeg ba115hp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by werner vw, Jun 25, 2004.

1. werner vw

werner vw

Mar 26, 2004
    paris
    Hi everyone!

I have a fender rumble 100 (it's a good amp for the price) but i want some better quality and some more round sound. (i play mostly jazz/blue/funk/rock)

So i want a new amp and i made two selection

-fender bassman 200
    or
    -ampeg ba115hp

Any advice for those who have played on it?

Thank you

2. i'll tell you this much: your going to have to hunt if you want a BA115HP. I haven't heard much of anything about it. I suggest looking at the Yorkville XM200, alot of people like that combo here

3. jlynch

jlynch

Mar 30, 2004
    I have had both and recommend the Bassman 200 for one reason. The BA series of Ampeg amps have a design flaw. The gain and master volume controls only work up to halfway on the dial. After halfway they do nothing! In order to get full volume from the amp it is necessary to raise the tone controls. I'm not kidding! It is not possible to simply dial in the tone you want and then raise the volume level to what you want.

The amp sounds wonderful and I never needed the full volume, but I could not stand knowing that if I ever did need full volume I would have to compromise my desired tone to get it.

I now have a Fender 400 Pro and love it. The Bassman 200 sounds excellent also. Ampeg knows about the problem and said that they would fix it on the "next batch". A lot of good that did me.