Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender bassman 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by somethintosay, Aug 27, 2001.

1. im going to get a new amp and i have about 600 to 700 dollars to spend and i play with a loud guitarist who uses a 100 watt line six and a heavy hitting drummer.i have an ibanez eda 5 string so i need to handle the low end and have clarity but also be pretty loud, so is the bassman 200 a good choice? i like it and all id just like some feedback first.

2. I don't know the 200, but I have been using the Bassman 100 for a year. Unreinforced. Guitarist uses a Marshall JTM 60. Drummer medium loud. We played (the band has now split) rocknroll and country/ 'Dire straits' style rock. The Fender is ideally suited to that kind of music.

I wouldn't use it with a heavy rock or metal band, though.

3. Something, I agree with Andy. This amp has excellent tone, but, I don't know if it would be loud enough without an extra cab. If you have a loud guitarist and a heavy drummer, I'd go for the bassman 400 head, but, then this would use most of your money. Do you think you could borrow some more? You'll probably be happier in the long run. Try: New Bassman 400 head + used cab.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Check out the Peavey Combo 115. Built rock solid, and goes up to 300 watts with a 4 ohm extension cabinet. You can probably get one for about$550.00
    Hope that helps!

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If I had the extra $ I probably would have gotten the 400,but so far the 200 has been sufficient(plus I got a good deal on it,$550 new).My guitar players tend to have their stage volume a little on the loud side,and I dont have any problems cutting thru them.