Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 25 and/or SansAmp Landmark 60?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 18, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK - I tried to do an archive search first, but "25" is too short of a phrase for the search engine and there's only one or two posts regarding the Landmark 60.

Now that I live in a house that's bigger than a typical Manhattan studio apartment, I "need" (pronounced "want") a small practice amp for upstairs use. (I have my main rig in the basement rec room.) I'll be using it with a CD player and a drum box at minimal volumes.

A secondary but important use is as a small combo I can take with my Tacoma ABG for acoustic nights out. I don't need a lot of amplification for this, and 25 watts would fill the bill nicely.

I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want quality and decent tone.

I've tried a few Bassman 25s and have been impressed with their tone and quality of construction. The Bassman's rockback design is a major plus in my eyes.

I'm very happy with the tone of the SansAmp RBI in my main rig, but the Landmark 60 is a wee bit pricey. However, it is more usable as a stage monitor if I ever start playing out.

Any comments on either of these amps before I spend the coin?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I really like the Bassman amps. Ive got the 200 and a 60. I was going to get the 25 for home, but found the 60 used for the same price as the 25 new.

I dont have any experience with the Landmark 60, so I cant offer an opinion on it.

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Haven't tried the Landmark 60 (although I do own a SABDDI which I always carry as a backup), but I did try a number of small combos a little over a year ago when I was looking for a practice amp that I could use in a coffee house or worship setting. Nothing even came close to the Bassman 25 (at least not under $400). Deep sounding bass, handles the B on my Cirrus 5 without breaking a sweat. You'd probably be very happy with either one, it will probably just boil down to price and availability.

- Frank.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Fender Bassman 25 playing through my ears as I write. My twelve year old is nailing yet another Flea tab.

Anyway, don't be fooled by the twenty-five watt rateing, these little guy's were well designed top to bottom all for a decent price. I've done trio's and such with mine. I can't tell you what a great feeling it is for a bassist to walk into a gig with the smallest amp and still hold it down.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm about thisclose to ordering a Tech21 from a friend...I like the Bassman 25 a lot, but I absolutely love the creamy goodness of my RBI!

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Like I said, I'm sure you'll be happy with either one. If you can afford the Tech21 and don't mind the price...

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I got a Bassman 25 when BassNorthwest had their Bassman blowout awhile back. So far I've only used it for practicing at home (not very loud, I'm in a townhouse) but as mentioned above it has great bottom, sounds very nice with my fivers. Seems like it'll get fairly loud... I look forward to pushing it harder in quiet jams (but if in doubt I bring 2x10" minimum; I know how some of my guitarist buddies can get). :eek:

Ditto!

8. I've been touting the LM60 since I got mine and it just keeps getting better.

If you're happy with your RBI, as I am with mine) then you'll love the LM60. You can dial up the knobs the same as you would on your RBI and have darn near the same tone.

Consider it an investment... it's only 36 pounds.

Also, I heard it will get you chicks!

FishBulb

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, the Landmark 60 is on order from John at Black Rose Customs.

I also just realized something neat - if I want, I can use the LM60 as my monitor and preamp, and feed my poweramp driving my Bags as a stage rig. I'd have a backup with the same creamy goodness as I get with my RBI!

I could even leave my preamp/effects rack at home if I really wanted to travel light (my poweramp is in a rack bag, and the power strip/tuner/RBI/compressor is in a separate SKB XRack).

Cool! Unintended consequences can be fun!

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's been shipped from the factory, so with luck I should have it next week. Woohoo!

11. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    HeavyDuty I know that this is an old thread but I would like to know what are your impressions regarding the Landmark60!!

What style to you play?
    How can you describe the sound of the Landmark?
    Can you compare the sound to any known bass player out there??

Thanks!!

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi! I suspect from your location you are trying to order a combo sight unseen, so:

1. Rock and blues, fingerstyle mostly (no slap). About half of what I do with this amp is with my Tacoma ABG; the rest with my electrics.

2. I'm bad at describing sound with words, but trust me when I say it sounds good! It has a tubey warmth that can be dialed in or out as the situation warrants.

3. Not really, see 2. above.

Good luck! I still like the Bassman 25 whe I see it in stores, but I'm very happy with my Landmark 60.