Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 25 help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RSully72, Aug 4, 2004.

1. RSully72

RSully72

May 31, 2004
    Hi,

I had purchased a Fender Bassman 25 combo off eBay....my very first amp - woo-hoo!! As you can probably tell I'm a newbie, but this seemed like a great practice amp to start with. It was described in "mint - like new" condition, about a year old - and I won the auction for $155. I dunno, maybe I overpaid, but I thought I got a pretty good deal.
    Anyway, the amp came today, and I have a few questions after playing around with it for a bit. Unfortunately, nobody near me carries the Bassman combos in-stock, so I need to turn to you guys for help/advice.
    1) How quiet should it be? I ask because I've heard many people describe the Bassman as dead quiet. I definitely get a very audible "hiss" when the volume on the amp is turned up about half-way. It's not very audible from across the room, but I can hear it while standing a few feet away (with the amp on the floor in the tilt-back position). In case it matters, I usually keep the volume on my P-Bass clone turned up all the way, and adjust volume/tone settings on the amp.
    2) I also get a buzz when the mute switch is engaged - but you have to be within a couple feet to hear it. It's not audaile while standing a couple feet away. Just want to make sure this is normal.
    3) Mine makes a slight popping or clipping noise when turning on or off. Again, I just want to make sure this is normal.
    4) Last, but not least. Mine has a small dent (or depression) on the bottom-front lower lip of the cabinet. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I thought this might be from being banged or dropped, but there's no scratches, scuffs, or impact marks on the Tolex in that area. It's also uniform in size and shape, as oppoed to an irregular sized dent - which makes me think that maybe it's supposed to be there? Not sure...but any help will be appreciated.

I'm asking all these questions because I don't have a lot of experience with amps, and the Bassman is different than the amp I had been using. I was using a Crate that was dead quiet, and built really well, but I didn't really like the tone - and that's what matters!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. And thanks for helping out a newbie!

Sully

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I bought one of these yesterday to keep in my office to test basses as they come through.

I finished putting together a bass and I thought I had a bad on board preamp because of the hiss...

it also pops and clicks....