Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 25, Rumble 25, and head phones ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kiwishred, Feb 15, 2005.

1. kiwishred

kiwishred

Jan 23, 2005
    Hi, I am returning to bass after a 20 yr absence and seeking advice on getting the right practice amp combo.

First mistake - Buying a Behringer BX300 without even bothering to listen to it. The unit I have is quite noisy even with the volume all the way down. The noise is more of a buzz than a hum. And the level of the buzzing seems to change for no apparent reason. The buzz, and its variability, is particularly annoying when listening through headphones (which I anticipate needing to do quite often).

Not sure if my unit is faulty or not but I checked out another BX300 and it seemed to have a similar buzz. Apart from that I think the BX300 is still good value for what it is (the noise is only really only a problem because I need to use it with headphones), but I am looking to step up in quality a bit.

So then I looked at the Fender Rumble 25 and it seemed somewhat nicer that the Behringer (no buzz, only hiss, and a deeper bottom).

Then I find I can mail order a Fender Bassman 25 for about the same price as the Rumble. But of course I can't test it before buying. So, I have 2 questions:

1) Given that the $$$ are the same, is it a no-brainer to get the Bassman over the Rumble ?. Seems so from searching through the posts here but I would be paticularly interested in hearing from someone with direct experience with both.

2) Are there any noise problems with the headphone output of the Bassman ?

Thanks in advance,
    Brent

2. jazz567

jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    I have the Bassman25 (now discontinued I believe) that I bought at closeout for $150 at GC recently. It is a great practice amp IMO, and I have actually brought it to band practice a couple times and it did just fine. Pretty surprising volume from a little box and the low price.

It sounded better to me than other cheesy low priced practice amps I tried.

3. The Fender Bassman 25 was my main amp for awhile. I jumped at the Galien Kruger Backline 115 model (which i think was rated at 100 watts and had a million knobs and setting buttons) and i concluded that it did'nt measure up to the warmth of my little Fender Bassman 25. I took the Galien back to the store and got a 60 watt Fender Bassman as they had sold my 25. :crying:

A very good friend of mine would plug his 7 string Conklin Groove Tools bass into the 1 of the two inputs and i would plug in my Warwick Thumb 5 and the Bassman was more than capable of handling both our basses at the same time like a champ. (from our low b's to his high f string)

I would recomend staying away from the Rumble and going with the Bassman.

4. This is where I get confused- didn't Fender have a "RumbleBass" head that looked like a brown tolex Bassman but with like 400w of all tube power?

5. Wings

Wings

Feb 6, 2005
    Bellport, NY
    The Bassman 25 is a "real" bass amp. I use it for practice and smaller gigs. By real, I mean that a bass sounds like a bass. Many of the smaller amps just don't sound very good. It doesn't have the sound or volume of my Fender Pro 400 amp and 210 cab, but I've never had to apologize for the sound. I've often wondered why more people don't know about the 25.

Wings

6. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I will sell you my 3 month old Fender Rumble 25. I still have the originial box it came in.