1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 250 2x10 - Decent?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbuddy, Dec 2, 2018.

1. I’m looking to pick up a cheap combo to keep at the practice space, and there are a couple of these available locally. Any experience with these? I’ve seen a couple of threads suggesting they basically shake themselves apart with continued use, but didn’t want to discount them entirely without getting a wider perspective.

2. How cheap is cheap?

3. Under $200

4. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    'Sounds' like a great bargain to me, if they're in good shape. Get 'em both!

I gigged my Bassman 250 115 heavily for several years with no such self damage. Only a few nicks here and there from load in/load out. Only retired it when my Rumble 500 combo proved reliable enough, and much easier to move. Suppose I should sell it to someone deserving of such a world class combo, now that it's also been replaced at backup by a Bassman 500 w/115 neo.

5. Under $200 is an excellent price if the amp is in decent condition. I always liked this amp.

6. The "room balance" control was brilliant. I can't figure out why Fender didn't continue with that. I'm still hoping to stumble across one of those TBP-1 preamps one day.

7. Personally, I think they sound great. Unfortunately, I got a lemon and the replacement was also a lemon. I did not persue them any longer. I'm sure if you get a good one, it would be a good amp.

8. That's why my post....what made yours a lemon? What to look for?

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I’ve had both a Bassman 250/210 and a Bassman 150/112 for around 8-10 years now. Never an issue with either, both sound great, and I’ve used them for many, many rehearsals, and a few smaller gigs.

10. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    And I really like that my Bassman 250/115 can master my Bassman 150/112, yet the Master Volume on the 150/112 still works! Apparently this is not the case with newer gear. (sigh)

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Those are great amps. Solid setup. Easy to find a good sound and plenty of power for most occasions.

Had the just the head and it was great. Is it the silver faced one on Cincy craigs?

12. That’s one.

13. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I'd rock that. Not sure how they shook themselves apart. I found that series of cabs and amps to be solid. Sound great too.

There was a bassman series following that sounded okay but were built pretty cheaply. Those may have had issues.

14. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    This is the Bassman 250/210 combo, shown with back casters removed to tilt it back, which I found to be an effective gigging position.

fender-bassman-250-combo-2x10-46445.

generalduncan and aproud1 like this.