1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bassman 250 HD Head with RBI and Eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ayliffe, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thinking about buying this along with a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI and an Eden Nemesis 212. any thoughts? things i should know about it etc.

2. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    bump_signs.

3. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Its an ok head, I played a starter bass through one a while ago at a friend's house (his bass player's in his metal band). It was through a Bassman 410 which sounded good.I don't remember it but I don't think there was much warmth to it, a little too "hi-fi" for me. A sansamp will sound awesome though.

As always, try before you buy!

4. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    of course! but just trying to get some opinions

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Why not get a poweramp instead of the Bassman head?

For the price of the Bassman 250 head you could get a 1000 watt poweramp from Carvin,Crown,or QSC and have a real pro rig with lots of headroom.The RBI is a full featured preamp and will do everything the Bassman can do and more.A Carvin DCM1000 is only $350 and would bury the Bassman.I've been using an RBI for years and it's a great preamp.

6. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    well ive recently gone away from the fender head, and am thinking about the ampeg br1 for my power, but wouldnt the 1000 w power amp you suggested blow the **** out of the 212?

7. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    No,you only need to turn up to the volume you need.If you tried to make the 212 cabinet sound like a pair of 212 cabinets you could have a problem but if you listen close you should be able to tell when you are close to overdriving your speakers.The reason for using lots of power is headroom.With a lot of power your amp doesn't have to work so hard and the distortion levels stay lower.Also if you add low end EQ the amp can handle it better,bass frequencies take lots more power than mids and highs.I think more power controls the speakers better and sounds tighter on the bottom end.

Most of the time even with 1000 watts on hand I probably only use 100 to 200 watts gigging but when I need the extra power for low end if things get out of hand I've got the power.You just have to know what your speakers can handle and keep your volume reasonable.

8. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    could you by chance show me some models that would be good for what im looking for from either qsc or crown?

9. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Crown XS 500 $350
    XLS 402 D $399
    XTI 1000 $499

QSC RMX 850 $319
    RMX 1450 $429
    PLX 1804 $699

I got these from the Musicians Friend site.Any of them will work fine.The Crown XTI 1000 and the QSC 1804 are lightweight switching amps,I have the XTI 1000.The other amps are more coventional and weigh quite a bit more.You can look at the specs for these on the Musicians Friend site.Guitar Center sells all these also if you have one near you.