1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bassman 250 - Shocking!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4Mal, Apr 5, 2006.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Last night I played in a new rehersal space (new for me anyway) the space has a new Fender Bassman 250 and Fender 2x10 with Tweeter cabinet.

Shockingly good... I'm not giving up my Alembic/GK/Bag End rig anytime soon but that amp kick's for 4 string....

I was quite suprised.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had the same reaction when I plugged into one at Guitar trader.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    im seriously thinking of biting on a fender pro 800.. to replace my semi busted hartke systems 7000.

4. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    How was it for volume? What size was the space etc? Just looking at going head and cab soon. Probably bars, clubs etc nothing too massive. Would that rig do it?

5. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Chris Maresh with Eric Johnson used a Fender 800 and an 8x10 last time I saw them. Besides the fact that Chris is astounding no matter what amp he plays through, I thought the Fender sounded really great. And he used to play through a Trace V8!

So that might be considered a pretty good endorsement.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Trio rehersal for a Guitar Bass & Drums blues/ alt rock thing. It was reasonably loud for a 250 watter. I had the Master on '11' and ran the input vol at about 9:00, no clip light, a touch of compression.
    Practice space is pretty large and very dead, lot's of acoustical foam panels and carpet on the floor. It's a watts eating room.

I would say that in a typical 100 - 150 seat club it would be fine without PA support for me. My guitar player uses a Fender Blues Deluxe mostly or Twin Reverb but doesn't crank that one (thank god).

The 2x10 cab is kind of raw sounding but that vibe worked nicely with the relatively clean SS head. I was using my Reverend PJ as the bass.

Overall for small to medium gig's it would suffice for me. If there were a stepup to twice the power, I'd do that personnally as I HATE any kind of distortion in my rig... and eventually a 250 watter is going to run out of gas. Still - a very nice sounding amplifier from a company that I do not normally associate with bass amplification.