1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 250 versus Fender Rumble 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by willg95, Oct 4, 2010.

1. willg95

willg95

Jul 7, 2007
    Spring Lake, MI
    I recently posted a thread in this section :bag: regarding power of my Bassman 250W 210 and either getting a new setup or an extension cab. The replies and opinions were very different from one another. Some rooted for the new setup while others believed adding a 15" cab with ample power would be enough to make me happy for my larger shows.

Obviously I wanted to not spend a lot of money since this is the time of year my hours get cut (garden center/floral nursery):mad:. So I was really rooting for the 15" cab idea but feared that if I bought one, some power would be lost which some have told me may happen. I can't afford to lose any wattage at all since 250W is barely cutting it as it is. :meh:

Now recently I've noticed one particular amp with 100W more power than my Bassman and just as big. Which is nice because I like to travel light and/or in small pieces. Plus it has all of the same outputs for an extension cabinet which would be perfect. Something just as big, 100W more, and all the same capabilities of my Bassman. AND IT'S ONLY $500! :D

But wait... :(. Something doesn't add up. If that only costs $500. Why do I still see my Bassman 250 for about $700 on some sites including this http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2345700010. :confused:

So what I'm asking is, does anyone know how this amp is personally? And if it's even worth the switch? Because I'm a little confused as to why something with 100W more and almost 10 years newer of a design would be cheaper. I really hope it would be worth the switch because I think it looks badass for one. And second, more power and more headroom for power with a 15" cab if need be.

Sorry for posting a novel for what should have been a short post :oops: and thanks in advance for helping!

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i believe that the bassman is the more "mid level" fender series, while the rumble is the more "entry level", so more durable, more tone options, more headroom with the bassmans

3. willg95

willg95

Jul 7, 2007
    Spring Lake, MI
    That's the thing. I don't need a lot of tone options. I'm quite a minimalist when it comes to playing now. As long as I can roll off the treble for finger style and crank up the bass and treble for pick I'll be happy. As far as raw power is concerned; would anyone recommend the purchase? Especially if I put a 15" cabinet on it? I wouldn't even need to sell my Bassman 250 if I didn't want to. Which I probably won't. It was my first amp. Sentimental Value :p

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another 100 watts will make absolutely no difference with the volume. More speakers is always the best way to get louder. You're in a particularly akward situation, since your amp's spkr out jack is wired series, but even still, adding more speakers will get you louder than adding 100 watts, besides the fact you'd be downgrading the rig.

5. willg95

willg95

Jul 7, 2007
    Spring Lake, MI
    How does that work then? I don't think the ohms are any different between the two.

And it doesn't really matter now anyway. I did a little more digging and found the two speakers in the Rumble 350 are only rated 75W each. What the HELL!?:confused::mad: Where as the two speakers in my Bassman 250 are 125W each. So I'm confused there. I guess I'll just stick with my trusty Bassman.

6. miketallica315

miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I have the 250 with the 15 instead of the 2x10's and it is soild and sounds fantastic. I use it just as much as my SVT 3-PRO (which I have to retube by the way). The bassmans and the ones before them from the late 90's to early 2000's are fantastic also. I have owned a couple of them. The Rumble amps never really sounded that good to me. I just didn't care for them. Not as many tone options, I just flat out didnt like it. But I love my Bassman 250!

7. I use a Bassman 250 head and love it. My SVT-3 PRO sits on the shelf.
    It has great tone. The preamp section uses tried and true circuits that
    have gone into other Bassman amplifiers (Bassman 200 and Bassman 400).

Why does it cost more than a Rumble 350? That perplexes me, too.

I did see a site that said the Rumble 350 had 75 watt speakers but
    I'm skeptical. I think that is a typo. When the Rumble 150 came out,
    Fender's website said "100 watts." That clearly was wrong. I think it
    was a copy-and-paste error.

8. I happen to own the rumble 350. I can say sound wise they are not too bad. I wouldn't expect anything amazing out of them, but it is not too bad. I can get a good variety of sounds out the sucker and it sounds pretty good loud.

It isn't bad for someone like me who wanted to get something with a more power that I could use in a rehearsal, or possibly, a live situation. I do not recommend getting one for recording tho, super noisy fan.

9. willg95

willg95

Jul 7, 2007
    Spring Lake, MI
    That's what I thought. But I know they do that a lot with guitar amps on purpose. The combo amps anyway. I have a Peavey Vypyr 120W Tube and both of the 12" speakers are only 50W each. I'm told they do that on purpose so the speakers get stressed more easily at a lower volume and produce a louder sound than that of higher watt speakers at the same settings. They also do that because they're main feature regarding power is to be hooked up to a more reasonable cabinet if the volume needs to be cranked almost all the way up.

But I will say I've never heard of them doing that on purpose with a bass amp. Especially if the combined wattage is less than half of the head's. :confused: Unless the Rumble 350 is MEANT to have an extension cabinet. Which doesn't seem likely to me since it is an entry level amp for the most part. :confused::confused:

10. The Bassman 250 delivers its full 250 watts to the speaker. It can't accept an extension cabinet because the amp is already running at its lowest impedance, which is 4 ohms. Adding another cabinet would put the amp under its minimum load, and would damage it. I believe the reason there is an extension cab out in the amp is because the bassman head was also available as a standalone unit. I'm not sure what it puts out at 8 ohms, but it's probably somewhere in the neighbourhood of 125-150 watts.

If you want to add speakers to your existing rig, you could add a powered extension cabinet, and send a signal to it via the effects loop, if you wanted to, though.

11. Get the Rumble and you are gambling on more frustration. It's just a matter of time. Extra watts = a few more dB.
    But A LOT MORE frustration. The Bassman is a way more solid piece of gear. But go ahead, get the Rumble, then you an get the Bassman again when the Rumble crumbles. The Chinese economy needs your $.

12. willg95

willg95

Jul 7, 2007
    Spring Lake, MI
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying, billoetjen. Of course everyone says to get a new setup entirely but I hardly have any money to throw around. Which is horrible timing because I'm in a new band that's getting more and more shows and the shows are getting larger each time. Our PA can't handle a bass input. Just vocals and the bass drum. Which brings me back to square one: New setup, or modify the PA system. Either one is going to be way more than I or we can afford. :( I'm not really sure what to do. I don't want to bring the band down because I can't afford equipment for myself.

13. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    from what I understand talking to the local Fender rep, the NEW Bassman series - 2010 and on...are a result of the migration of the Bassman series technology into the Rumble line. You will notice the Bassman amps are gone and they are clearing out the remaining pieces. So the Rumble 350/150s appear to be simplified Bassmans built in China with some cheaper/domestically produced parts.

I have owned a Rumble 350 for a few months now. Plenty of rehersals and gigs, tons of compliments on the tone and volume. Other bassists have asked to use it instead of setting up their rigs after hearing it. I am very pleased. For $550 Canadian it does all I need it to and more. (for reference I have played on many different rigs as I spent a few years gigging on provided backlines - different set ups every night from SVTs to the worst P.O.S. hartke into a homemade speaker rigs you can imagine)

The vinyl covering is atrocious though...if anyone sneezes directly at it, it rips...

I don't like the Tweeter, but I don't like most so take that with an even larger grain of salt then my other thoughts....

The handles are great! The casters are fine.

As for volume? I find the actual Rumble 350 to be louder than the actual Bassman 250 2x10 combo although on paper the difference in wattage would not cause that with the sound coming out of the same size speakers.

It is by no means Hi-Fi - very much a traditional tone imho...likely excels at 4 strings, finger and pick style or old school slap...I doubt it would cut it for a monster modern slap player or an extended range player (who uses the extended range a lot...) but I am not sure as my slap skills are about as good as my swimsuit modelling chops (scary)

Does it kill $1500 combos? No....is it good enough for the bar and small club/Lion's Club gigs I am doing now? In spades yo! :bassist:

14. english4bw

english4bw

Feb 5, 2011
    Steyning, UK
    pudgychef; I'm in Toronto, thinking of pulling the trigger on the Rumble 350 myself. Playing mostly contemporary worship in a LOUD (Hillsong type) band. How do you think this amp will fare in a movie theatre sized venue?

And nobody has cleared up the speaker wattage issue on here. I've got a Rumble 100, which has a 15" speaker rated at 100W @4ohm. The new Rumble 150 states that it pushes 150W into a 100W @4ohm. So it's reasonable to me that you'd have TWO 10" 75W speakers running at 8ohm driven by 150W each @4ohm. Makes perfect sense to me. The signal strength dumps in half at the speaker end when the impedance doubles. It's still 300W coming out of two 75W speakers. Basic sound engineering.

15. Also take note of the fact that the rumble 350 is a 4 ohm combo, no possibilities for an extension cab, i found that a little strange.

Liam

16. Ian Butchart

Ian Butchart

Jul 27, 2015
    I have been using a Bassman 250 for the past 6 or 7 years and I love it. It has so much tone control that it does the job of an enormous bi-amp system that I had before. Meanwhile, I can pick it up and put it in the boot of my car. First class! If I do a big gig, it gets D.I.d to the PA.

jukap likes this.