1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 250 vs. BA-115...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, Feb 17, 2008.

1. I currently have an Ampeg BA-115, 100 watts/1x15". I've been thinking of increasing my volume and have been reading about the Fender Bassman 250/210, 250 watts/2x10". Has anyone tried one or both of these? I like the BA-115 but I'm wondering what your thoughts are as far as tone, sound of the 250/210. Does the Bassman 250/210 hit the lows with the 2x10"? I haven't tried anything with 2x10 before. I called GC and they have the 250/210 at the store and I'm planning on taking my Geddy Jazz and try the amp. Any thoughts? I know there should be a significant change in power/volume, I'm curious with the tone as far as the lows and highs. I still want to be able to get the warm lows. The type of music I play varies, country, southern rock, classic rock, and some "modern" rock. Thanks for any help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    IMHO, the Fender has way more useful tone-shaping capability; semi-parametric eq for both low and high mids, and a very responsive four band eq. Any additional warmth you need can be dialed in with the room adjustment knob. Tons of low end/power/volume, too. Give it a listen, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

3. Thanks, I won't make it to GC today like I had hoped but I will soon. I'll go with a bad case of GAS too. I want that Bassman.

4. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have the bassman 150, which is more comparible to the ba-115 in my opinion. It's a great amp, i love the parametric mids and the compressor.

5. I'm going to stay with a combo just because it's suitable for me. The only drawback the combos have in my opinion is you can't hook up an external cabinet to them. I wish I could use the 2x10 and jack it to a 1x15. The only one I've seen that I could use an external cab is the GK Backline 210 and I don't know how that particular amp "holds up". If the Bassman gets the "lows" good I wouldn't really worry about an external cab. I know the 250 watts will be plenty for me.

6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Fender Bassman 250/210. Recently, I thought I was having an issue with it distortiong, but it turned out to be a bad guitar cord i was using (a Monster cable-plugged in some cables I've had for years from the American Cable Co. wiggled them all around at the input jack, everything was A OK)

Amp is good and loud, and if you take the time to mess around with the Parametric EQ, you'll be able to dial in any sound you want.

I have no experience with the Ampeg, but based on the two you mentioned, I say Fender.

Hope this helps.

7. I like the Ampeg, I just want the power and the 2x10 of the Bassman. I know Ampeg has a 2x10 that's 220 watts I think but if I remember from reading, it's heavier than the Bassman. The GC in St. Louis, the one I'm closest to, has both the Bassman and the Ampeg 2x10's. I'll try both.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Are you keeping your current Ampeg combo, or using it as a trade in? Reason I ask, is if you keep it, you could run both amps together, (stereo), and you may like the results. All you'd need is a simple A/B/Y box, or any stereo fx pedal. Good luck anyway, have fun.

9. Well I'm planning on trading but it depends on how bad they "screw me". I know they'll give me less than what I'd sell it out right, I expect that. But I'm not going to give it away either. I'll keep your idea in mind if I don't trade it. Thanks.

10. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    You are comparing a 100 Watt Amp to a 250 Watt Amp. I have the Ampeg BA 115 HPT which is 220 Watts. This would be a more fair comparison..............:smug: I also have the Fender Pro 400 Combo with the 115 Ext Cabinet, which I like fine, but the Ampeg HPT with the tube pre-amp is sweet. That is why I chose it over purchasing a smaller Fender Combo. The Ampeg tube pre-amp provides a nice warm tone that can also be dialed to be more aggressive when needed. As with any gear, it is personal preference...........Play them all, buy what you like!:bassist:

FWIW..........I had to add the 115 Ext Cabinet to the Fender Combo because I did not feel the 210 was getting the job done. Much more low end definition with the 15" cabinet. If you are going to buy either the Ampeg, or the Fender, you might want to consider the 15" version instead of the 2 x 10" (if you are not running an extention cabinet).:D

11. I'll have to try the 1x15's also. I'm not for sure how to run an external cab from the combos. Thanks for the input, I'm taking it all in. I've been out of the "music" for quite a few years. I just started again just a little over a year ago after a 28 year lay-off.

12. So the Bassman 150 has quite a bit of power too?
    [​IMG]
    150 watts with a 1x12. I wonder how it is power wise compared to the Ampeg BA-115. On a few of the posts on here I've read where some believe the BA-115 doesn't get as loud as other 100 watt amps. Only 39 pounds too, good for hauling around.

13. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    It's loud enough for my band practices and it's really easy to carry. Highly recommended!

14. Balkan

Balkan

Aug 8, 2005
    New York, NY
    Don't know about the Fender but when I was checking out amps a couple years back I found that the Ampeg B100R was much much louder than the BA-115. Don't know why that is.

15. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I just traded in a Fender 250/115, not because I didn't like it, but because I didn't need it. If I didn't have a head/cab configuration, I would have kept it for sure. Great tone shaping and mucho booty.

16. Hmmm.....the more I read, the more I'm leaning towards another 1x15 combo.

17. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Dang, and I traded my Bassman combo for a lot less than the $350 I was asking!

Having the Bassman made me realize I really miss the sound and oomph of a 15"; my first real amp was a B-100R. I need to get a GS115!

18. If GC has a 250/115 in stock I'm going to check it out. I haven't read much about it because I've been checking out 2x10's. Some good things have been said on here about it and I've read some good reviews.

19. My problem is that I really don't understand how speakers hold up to the power of the amps. My BA-115 has 1x15, the 250 has 2x10 or a 1x15. I guess I don't understand how the speakers are actually rated as far as how much power or how many watts they can handle. I just figured a 2x10 would withstand 250 watts better than a 1x15. I do actually like the low, deep sound of the 15's. I guess as long as the speaker is a "quality speaker" it can handle the power of the amp. Sorry, I'm probably making this a lot harder than it really is.