Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sparktone, Feb 23, 2005.

1. I'm new to this forum and have spent the last several days poring over past threads to help me decide on a mid-priced, mid-sized combo.

I've been leaning toward a Yorkville XM200 or Fender Bassman 200, which I've noticed has recently disappeared from the retail food chain and from the Fender website. Well, today I see that the Fender Bassman 250 has just been introduced (in 2x10 or 1x15).

Has anyone tried this yet? In addition to the extra wattage, it seems to have all the tone adjustments the Bassman 200 has plus a mid scoop control and 3-position attenuator for the horn tweeter. Also has RCA inputs, which are a nice add-on.

And unless it's a typo on the Fender website, this thing is amazingly light at 39 lbs., yet still has removable casters and spring-loaded side handles.

I'm really curious to hear how this thing sounds.

2. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    Personally, I really dig the Yorkville. I own one, and have compared it to some swr combos and heads, and it seems to be a better value, with great tone also. I've heard some bad stuff about the fender bassman series you mentioned, but that's all subjective. Anyway, I'd grab a yorkville if I were you, it's loud, toneful, and should have no trouble keeping up with any band.
    -pike-

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    +1 on the Yorkville :hyper:

4. I know this is an older thread, and the baseman 250/115 is a newer product BUT...... I am kinda curious about this as well. Does anyone have any experience with this combo yet? I wonder how it sounds vs. the Ampeg B-100r? Thanks

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In the 2005 Frontline catalog, the Bassman 250 combos are listed at 63 lbs.

They certainly have nice specs, and should represent an improvement over the previous line. I tried the old Bassman 200, and thought it was weak for 1x15" and 200 watts.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I still can't answer this, but I saw another band last night with the bassist using an Ampeg 1x15" combo, I think the B115. It sounded awesome with his Stingray five, and cut through nicely with two guitars. (The guitarists had Mesa Dual Rectifier heads and 2x12" cabs, but were playing at modest volume.)

I'm starting to be sold on the Ampegs after hearing two of them sound great on successive nights. It might be like Precision basses -- they don't necessarily sound great solo, but totally deliver in a band context.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I own 1x15" and 2x10" Fender combos (Bassman 200 and 400 respectively), and really dig them both. I have no problem keeping up with two loud guitars and a ridiculously loud drummer with either combo.

If I was going for the Bassman 250, I'd probably opt for the 2x10" model.

8. Anybody have any more input on this? Anyone played the bassman 250\115 yet?

9. I own the Fender Bassman 250/115. I went back to back with the 115 and the 210. I liked the 115 better! I was lower, more growly. You could deff hear the lower frequencies, the bottom was far superior.

What do I think of the 250/115? I love it. It has a very nice, warm tone and Its flexable. It brings out the crunchy bottom end on my L-2500 nicly.

my thoughts anyways.

10. I played both of the Fender Bassmans today at my local music store (im going amp shopping for around a 300 watt mid sized amp) and I liked these alot. I preferred the 210 over the 115, but they both sounded really nice. The 250-210 combo i can get for 589.99 and the 250-115 for about 549.99. They actually make these in separate amp/head configs, which i originally wanted because it would be easier to carry, but my music store only carries the 250 head, not the combos. It didnt have wheels on it, but I later found out that they were removable. I'm considering this amp because it sounds good, good priced, and loud enough for the type of stuff I'll be using it for if i end up gettin it.

11. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I just purchased the Bassman 150! It's awesome! Mine weighs 39 lbs though. I think what you were looking at was a typo. I love mine! Now I want a new bass to go along with it! *cough* Here *cough* I'd grab it as fast as you can! I'm sure it's going to be great! :smug:

12. Just the other day i actually decided to purchase the bassman 250-210. awesome sound. my mia jazz sounds great on this thing (although it always sounded great :) ). however, my mim precision sounds TWICE as good through this as it did through my old amp (peavey basic 112). might not be an 800 watt GK or anything, but it was still a big upgrade for me and i love it. it was definately worth every penny i paid for it.