Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 300 head, anyone have one ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgruvn, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Horny Toad does from memory, not sure about anyone else on TB but I think there's more than just him for sure.

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a Sunn 300T which is the same thing. Great amps!

3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Same as Protoz. I have a SUNN 300T.

These things are so powerful it is unreal. To get the best Tone out of it, you need to play loud, well within the normal rehearsing situation of a four member band let`s say.

4. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
  5. Never heard one but I want one!

6. I just got my 300 Pro less than a week ago and tried it out on sunday with my ampeg 610. I am very pleased to say the least. My only complaint is the lack of a "mid" knob, but that can be compensated for with the graphic eq but it does not make for very quick "on the fly" adjustments. I am not sure how much I like the selection of frequencies for the graphic either...some are a little too extreme, like everything higher than 4kHz, and no 800Hz slider either (my favorite frequency). Still this amp is probably the best sounding amp I have ever played. Tons of low end and some nice growl and tube goodness.

7. CPL

CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    Too damned expensive for me. I'd like to try one out, though.

8. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    It's the loudest, biggest sounding tube amp I've ever heard. I've never had to put it past 3 on the volume knob.

Cheers
    Karl

9. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

With plenty of knob-twisting and slider-sliding, you can get it to go from total mud to brittle highs. Very versatile tone shaping options and tons o' power. I've had to really take my time and work with it to tailor it to my likes. I'm very happy with it.

In all fairness though, it's the only tube amp I've ever used, so I can only compare it to my SS rig. If I remember correctly, I've seen lukewarm comments on it from Tom Bowlus, who has vast experience with an enormous array of equipment. He might be the best person to give a balanced review of the amp.

That being said, it does what I need it to do and it does it very well. :D

While I'm at it, might as well post a pic or two......;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I don't know what ^ she has to do with tube amps, but now I'm glad I gave this thread a look. :cool:

11. I have the Sunn version and it pretty much annhilates everything in its path. Seriously, this thing is almost disgustingly loud.

12. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I love the tone shaping even though I just leave it at flat with a slight boost in the mids.

Plug this into a Rickenbacker and a 2x15 and blow the roof off in a 3-piece band (such as mine)

I get comments wherever I go with this bad mother.

Just wish the footswitch had a button for tuner mute :S

[​IMG]

13. I have the same rig as Horny Toad, and can only say wow! I didn't realize just how much power a 300watt tube amp could put out until I had this amp for a good week or two... I agree with all the comments that you really have to spend some time with this amp before you learn exactly what is the correct way for you to use it to best effect for the style of music you play...

This amp really can do anything.

I'm still a bit fuzzy as to exactly how/what the gain trim on the compressor does? is it just a second gain stage to up the level after the compressor?

To be honest, I keep all my tone adjustments on the amp flat, without any bright/low/mid switch adjustments... just use the graphic EQ to adjust for the room and mix and off I go!

I actually use a DBX compressor before the amp as well as the onboard compression!

14. I have the Sunn 300t version of this amp and it is the fattest warmest old school amp out there with plenty of tone shaping and massive volume levels. Take your time play with all the knobs and sliders and figure out what you like and make notes.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, I am definitley not the best person to give such a review. While I have palyed both the Fender and Sunn versions in stores on several occassions (trying to like them, I might add), I have never had one at home or on a gig. I would love to give one a try in a gig setting, or at least at home for an A/B, but what I heard in the store was never enough to get me to cough up the dough.

Personal preferences do vary, though, and plenty of people seem to like this head. It might just not be for me.

Tom.

16. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Do you recall what it was about the amp that didn't appeal to you? I know it's all subjective, but I'm curious.

[​IMG]

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    From my recollection, it was not as tight in the lows nor as articulate through the mids as I prefer. The highs didn't seem very "open", either, as I recall. It was thick, though!

Tom.

18. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. Your opinion certainly carries some weight, given the different types and amount of equipment you've been exposed to.

[​IMG]