1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 300 Pro Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4string4life, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hey guys, Ive had this head for a while. When I first got it I retubed it with tung-sols (both pre and power sections). I recently really cranked to see what its got, and the red clipping LED kicks in indicating preamp clipping at about 4.5 on the channel 1 volume. I use active basses so I always have the 6dB pad in. This seems like a low level for the Red LED to kick in. Anybody have any experience with this?

2. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I've not had the red clipping LED ever light up(I haven't had it very long though). Did it do that before changing tubes?

3. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Mine does/did at around the same levels. I would say its just preamp distortion. I always cranked the master to 10 and used the ch 1 as the overall volume.

4. Yeah, I was wondering if the new tubes were the problem but I never cranked it that loud with the originals. It sounds like this may be normal but a couple more comments couldnt hurt. Thanks.

5. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    My Sunn 300T - about 8 years old I think, will give me a flash or two of red clipping light with CH1 gain on 5, Musicman Sterling HS Bass (9v pre) if I really dig in. I don't get any clipping light with a passive bass until the gain is at 7 or 8.
    I bet an 18v preamp and some slapping and popping would get that light a lot redder.
    JIm B

6. Sorry I can't help much on this one. I always have my MASTER on about 8 & the chan volumes on 2,3,4,5 whatever suits-it's always been SO loud I've never had the LED go red, sometimes it hardle even goes green!!!!!!!!:)
    Gonna use it at a pretty loud gig tonite so I'll get back to this thread on the morrow(olde worlde for tomorrow-I think???).

7. True, I never need to get it loud enough to flash red, but it does at 5 channel volume. This is starting to sound normal though. My basses are pretty hot, so it may be cool. Thanks for the input guys and if anybody else knows anything, let me know.