Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 300 Pro/Sunn head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've found a used Sunn head, which is the same thing as the new Fender Bassman head. All tube, 300 watts, all the goodies and such. Any opinions on this head? I'm going to see the guy who has it this weekend hopefully.

2. would likewise appreciate the info as I'm looking at buying the fender version new at the moment... any preferances between that and the eden wt800 anyone?

3. would also like to know if this all tube 300watt fender would be capable of powering an Epifani UL-410 rated at 400w-1000w at 4 or 8 ohms?

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think you'd find a lot of stuff from a search.

'Psycho Bass Guy' is particularly one of the resident tube-head gurus to check.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    That would be a Sunn 300T/Fender Bassman 300 Pro. Amazing head with an insane amount of tube power. If you are wondering on if you should buy it. Just buy it and be happy :)

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Son of B. -- with tube amps, you always want to look at cab efficiency (among other things). 3 db makes a world of difference when you have "only" 300 watts. 4 or 8 ohms won't make any difference as impedance is selectable on tube amps.

Some of these 4,000 watt solid state rigs don't really have to worry about eficiency -- that's why they buy those Acme-type bins. Lotsa low end, but not a lot of sound/per/watt.

The Epifany 410UL is rated at 103 db. VERY efficient. The Fender/Sunn should be able to melt the drapes. And sound great while doing it!

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I played one through a fender 2x15 and i loved it--made 4 different basses sound great--I'd like one. However, PBG and other tube guru's aren't all that impressed. I think you have to try one out and judge for yourself

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    About the power, I believe a tube watt is worth about 3-4 ss watts. Is this about right?

9. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Plain..a couple of quick points. You don't ever want to get engineers going on the "watts-is-watts thing" It raises their blood pressure and causes gastric intestinal malfunctioning---Bad--Very Bad!!! :eek: And your reference to 3-4 ss watts being comparable to a single tube watt; you want to change that right away and say that you were thinking about 7 years of a dogs life being comparable to a single human year. Trust me on this one. ;) Pssst.---come a bit closer so I can whisper. The truth is--it takes 3-4 ss amps to compare with a single tube amp--but keep that to yourself.

As to your question about the Sunn 300T, you'll get pro's and con's. I happen to think that the Sunn 300T will go down in history as one of the all-time greats. I don't care if it's got three layers of whiffle dust on the muffler bearings. All I care about is what I hear---and the Sunn 300T sounds KILLER!!--IMHO, of course. :bassist:

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I called the guy who had the head today- and he ****ing sold the head before I got up there! From what I've read, it seems I've missed out on a good deal... Perhaps I will find another or end up buying the Fender model, which I think is the same thing. If anyone has one they would like to sell, PM me.