Fender Bassman 300 Pro vs. Traynor YBA-300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Jul 16, 2015.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hello! Some of you may have seen my previous thread where I was searching for a amp to provide me with lots of volume and vintage fattiness and warmth. Currently, my two choices are listed above. Anyone who's knowledgeable on one or both, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Again, those are some of the tones I dig. I'll add the important factors are that the Fender is about half the price of the Traynor, half the tubes, but more knobs and such. I've read a fair bit on each but would like to hear users opinions.
    Thanks

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Never played the Traynor - but the Fender is, to me, the definition of vintage fat/warm tone. It's pretty amazing...

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  3. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    I'll clarify, just to make sure everyone knows. I'm talking about the Fender Bassman 300 Pro, not the Fender Super Bassman.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    How much dirt do you want and/or need? The Traynor brings the dirt, IME.

BTW, I heard Blue Cheer at the Boston Tea Party (the original one at 53 Berkeley Street) in 1969.
    They were deeply sadly pathetic.

40Hz likes this.
  5. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Pathetic? How?

Well, I have a dirt pedal so it shouldn't be an issue.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    They couldn't play.

7. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hmm, well I am much too young to have seen them, the live videos I've seen of them were pretty awesome. Both when they were young and their more recent shows. Maybe they were tripping when you saw them.
    RIP Dickie

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    As a trio, they had 30 different members, so maybe the guys I saw in '69 were just lame?
    @HeavyAxe — Edit: to clarify my opinion of Blue Cheer live—I was 19 years old, had been playing bass for six years, and could tell that those kids were weak players. The vocals were terrible. The conclusion I reached was that they were loud, but not much else.

I did like their studio cover of "Summertime Blues," the Eddie Cochran classic, but the original nails it for me. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    1954bassman and High Camp like this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    @HeavyAxe — no matter. If you want more dirt, get the Traynor. I always liked them for that, and they do a nice warm low end thing, too.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  10. Traynor has a 2 years "even if you break it", fully transferrable warranty, and the YBA-300 can shut down a pair of tubes automatically if one is defective during a gig - if peace of mind is something you are sensitive to. As for sound, this is totally subjective & up to you, but the traynor allows you to experiment with power tubes as you can swap the 6l6 for EL34s, and bias them easily thanks to leds and knobs on the back panel. EL34s can change the amps sound considerably for the better or worst, depening on the listener (I think I heard the EL34s are even more dirty).

blindrabbit and static0verdrive like this.
  11. I've had both amps. The 300Pro is a BEAST! In every sense of the word. Loud, powerful and very versatile. The Traynor is lighter, possibly not quite as loud but equally as good imo.
    If a choice of the two at the same price point....Id take the YBA300. Simply coz it sounds great, has the user bias/tube lock out system and is lighter.
    But. ......I'd take the newer Fender Super Bassman over both. In fact, that's exactly what I did do. The Super Bassman is just thick, powerful and lush, while being versatile and VERY tubey sounding. It's just my thing, more than the other two.

dbbltime, TricksteR and OzzyGreg like this.
  12. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Yes, quite possibly. I saw Led Zeppelin in '76 in Seattle. It was the worst sounding garage band I ever heard. Totally they were all trippin. So my review is "Led Zeppelin can't(couldn't) play at all - a total bunch of amateurs". Which of course is not true.

My vote is for the Traynor.

blindrabbit and static0verdrive like this.
  13. My vote is the Traynor. Not even because of the awesome warranty or any of the other great reasons, but because I've heard them both in action as an audience member multiple times, and although the Fender sounded great, it didn't strike me as special or noteworthy... but I walked out of Monster Truck as one example exclaiming aloud to people "how is the tone of that bass amp so incredible?!" YBA-300 is the answer and will remain the amp I drool over until I have one in a couple of years. My SB500H will do for now and sounds great, but those tubes man...

TricksteR, blindrabbit and bebass like this.
  14. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    We are in exact same situation. Gigging a SB500H while drooling over the YBA300. I am hoping to have mine sometimes this summer. But I will still use the SB500H for the majority of what I am doing due to it's weight, size, and overall good sound. But for the big stuff - YBA300!

15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Never owned either but have heard both - its Traynor for the win!

16. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tejas
    It's a heft, but I think the Fender 300 Pro would be your better bet for really vintage tone. It's a rebrand of the Sunn 300T, so they are nearly identical from what I hear. If it's half the price of the Traynor, I'd go for that if weight isn't an issue. If it is, I'd get the Traynor.

17. ToP fan

ToP fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Waterloo, Ontario
    I have the Traynor YBA 300 with the 412 fridge through which I play my beloved 1963 P - absolute vintage tonemonster !!!!!

Dave

GBassNorth and blindrabbit like this.
  18. Rezdog

Rezdog Gold Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

I agree with rodl2005. But if you are set choosing between the Fender Pro and the Traynor YBA300 I would definitely go for the Traynor.

Rezdog

TricksteR and GBassNorth like this.
  19. Traynor all the way. Go rent one and try it out already!!!

static0verdrive and GBassNorth like this.
  20. whiteox

whiteox

Sep 19, 2014
    Atlanta
    I can get a nice overdriven tone with the bassman 300 pro as well as a clean fat warm tone .