1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Bassman 300 Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ifriff, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Ifriff

Ifriff

Feb 7, 2011
    My bassman 300 stopped working. The fuses seem to look ok. Anybody have any experience with repairing this amp?

2. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Well, this is the first mention I've seen of a breakdown. It must be under warranty, just take it back for service. I am sure that Fender will be keen to fly the flag and get it sorted quickly. Probably a valve, which can happen to any new tube amp unfortunately, but if it was me I wouldn't even bother to look at it in case I void the warranty. Take it in and don't worry about it - but make sure you post and let us know what the problem was once ot os fixed or replaced.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I've got one of these amps and the only issue I've had is with old tubes dying. Do the tube lights turn green when you flip it out of standby? Have you tried swapping the preamp tubes? (It takes 3x 12AX7 and a 12AT7.) If you plug into the power amp in / effects return, do you get sound?

I would not recommend you doing any repairs on the amp unless you're an experienced tech. The voltages inside of that amp can hurt or kill you.

4. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    I had one one these for a while. Loved this amp; just too heavy for gigging (for me anyway). The one issue I had was when I plugged into the wrong speaker jack in the back. I think the way it is wired you have to go into a certain jack first for the first (or only) speaker cab in the chain. The other jack is for a 2nd speaker only.
    I plugged into the one for the 2nd speaker and blew a fuse IMMEDIATELY.
    That is the only problem I eve had with mine. Great amp bro; good luck getting it fixed. Tone and power for days!!!

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sorry, my bad. I thought you were talking about the new Super Bassman 300. I always thought those Bassman 300s were pretty well rock solid. Probably a tube. Yes, take it to a tech.

6. Ifriff

Ifriff

Feb 7, 2011
    Amp is working!
    I pulled the tubes. One of the power tubes was broken. The center piece where the tube plugs in broke off. I got it out with needle nose pliers. Put a new tube in and it works! I wonder what would make that happen? I feel lucky it was something as minor as that.

7. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Gold Supporting Member

May 5, 2011
    Newport, TN.
    Glad you got it fixed bro; that is an awesome amp!!!! I wish I could have kept mine, even if just to practice with!! Killer tone for sure. Glad it was an easy fix too.

8. Ifriff

Ifriff

Feb 7, 2011
    Yea, it is quite the amp. I bought it used from Guitar Center. What a nightmare. It so damn heavy though. I guess that's part of the beast.
    I didn't know how long my bassman would be down so I bought another amp to try. The Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0. I can't believe how small and light it is. I haven't used it much yet but it seems like a pretty good amp. It's matched with a Mesa Powerhouse 212 cab.