1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 300 tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Feb 20, 2008.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I can buy one new at a store for $899.00. Is this a good deal?

2. I dunno about the price cause I'm far far away, but I do know thats a whole lot of amp!

3. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

That's a very good price.

4. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    It is a BIG amp. Perhaps a Ampeg V4B would be a better fit for me.

5. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    i think it normally costs 1299$ so yea it's a good price.but the amp is even better;)

6. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Would this monster be a massive overkill to set on top of a 2x10 cab for the small-med gigs or shouldn't I worry about it and buy it?

7. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Current list on a Fender Bassman 300 Pro is $1,857.13

Anything under $1,100 on a current model new one is a good deal. (That's >40% off)

8. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Is a 2x10 your only cab? Might be a bit much.

I used to run a 300 Pro with a Schroeder 310212 and it killed.

[​IMG]

The head plus its road case weighed about 100 lbs.

[​IMG]

9. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    $1400 on their website.

10. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Buy it.

Then give it to me.

11. +1 that combo killed for me too!

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Lag I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about. Its been there for a real, real long time. Make them an offer or at least ask them if they can reduce the price.

13. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Larry: IMO it's a good price if it's new and working 100% and it's your type of amp. I remember trying out basses a few years back and almost every bass sounded GREAT tone-wise. Then I realized it was the 300 head/2x15 bottom that sounded great, not the basses! I've gas'd for one ever since but have come to the realization I don't want to schlepp around big heavy gear anymore.

I do guarantee if you ran that woody bass through a 300/2x15 rig, it'd be one mean a** screamin' banshee!:D

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    If its the one I'm thinking of its not new.

15. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Anybody have a pic of one on top of a 2x10?

16. Remember, that's a 300 watt Tube amp. That thing can overpower alot of 8 x 10 cabinets, so it's definitely overkill for a 2x 10

17. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If your back can handle it, it's an amazing no-brainer of a deal.

18. Pikasoll

Pikasoll

Nov 23, 2007
    Norway
    I`m using it with two aguilar gs410, this cab can easely handle 4x410 aguilar gs, and the cabs would still fart. It`s a great amp really, and really tueeqing you can do with it. Lot`s of options.

And yes at that price it`s really a good deal!

I say go go go .

19. Peabodius

Peabodius

Dec 6, 2007
    Just be aware of the pros and cons. I had one of these when they were sold under the Sunn brand. Great sounding amp, but not at all fun to lug around to shows. The final straw for me was when I finally replaced all the pre-amp and power tubes. It cost me over $300 for tubes and installation. I finally sold it and bought a solid-state that weighs about 13 pounds and sounds great. Does it have that nice tube sound? Not exactly, but my back and my wallet don't seem to mind.

20. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I know what you mean, Jeff. This rig has killer sound but...75lbs is alot to lug around and I'm not getting any younger. I always wanted one of these back when they where Sunn Model T's. Not a handy to carry in and out and transport.