1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 300 Tube Swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gearhead17, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I like this head a lot, but I would like to get more string clarity. I have messed with the EQ and it helps, but overall the head is extremely thick and bassy sounding. Not that I am complaining... I am looking for a clearer, maybe smoother bass tone overall. I like the 6550 power tubes, I am looking at the pre-amp/driver tubes. What would be a good choice to make this amp come alive?

2. I found it hard to beat JJ 12AX7's & EH12AX7's & EH 12AT7's which I think are in this amp. IIRC that is. Tho I can't remember where which went where -what???
    Dunno what JJ KT88's 'd do for the sound either - www.eurotubes.com are worth emailing for their opinion. They helped me make a decision on tubes B4- even when it was NOT a purchase from them