Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender bassman 300 vs Ampeg svtcl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hombrelobo, Oct 20, 2005.

1. hombrelobo

hombrelobo

Sep 28, 2005
    mn
    Any opinions or comparisions?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Opinion: I like the Bassman/Sunn 300T, and I don't like the SVT-CL.

3. I've been researching the Fender (and will hopefully soon be trying one), while I have played the new CL in gig situations a couple of times.

The SVT is quite well known for it's overdriven tone, while the Fender seems to be more of a clean amp, with an overdrive channel. the SVT has very limited eq options, so if you like that tone, it is perfect, but it doesn't really do much else, while the Fender from what I hear doesn't really have a defined tone of it's own, but has a wide variety of EQ options with which to find your tone...

thats just the imression I get. On the few occasions I have used the SVT, it was loud, but not very tight in the low end, and I couldn't seem to stop it from breaking up at high volumes... but that might just be my inexperience with it...?

4. I havn't personally used either, but having seen several bands using these Fender and Ampeg heads I definately prefer the tone of the Fender (but IMO the Ampeg's are a million times better sounding on recordings?)

5. I wonder how many players actually use ampeg tube heads in recording?

6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Son of Bovril said it all about these two heads.

I have personnally tried both and while the Ampeg is an incontournable, I do prefer the versatility of the Fender Pro 300 / SUNN 300T better to my taste. But, at the same time, I would never refuse to play with an Ampeg SVT-CL !

7. Turlu has a SUNN 300T, so any questions you have regarding this amp, he's the man to speak to, otherwise Protoz is usually around and can help you out in this department...

Any questions on the Ampeg SVT you should be able to have answered via the search function, otherwise there are a myriad of people on here who own at least one...

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I don't have a 300T but I do have the big brother, the 1200S. Same EQ, no tubes, way loud.

I'm just a tube and Sunn junkie like The Ox

I've heard quite a few SVT-CL's in show I've played at and they have that "new" Ampeg tone and that's about all I've heard. I like choices so I am gonna stick with the 1200S until I can get a 300T :)

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Opinion: I like the SVT-CL, and I don't like the Bassman/Sunn 300T.
    :D

10. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[​IMG]

I'm an Ampeg guy myself, I've owned two of their amps and three cabinets, and I had always planned on buying the SVT Classic, but I started doing my research last spring about tube amps, and found the Sunn 300t. Did a ton of online research about it, then snatched one up from a fellow TB member without ever trying it. I've never been happier with any amp.

If you've seen other bands use the Ampeg SVTCL and have loved their tone, then by all means, buy it. It's considered the "holy grail" of tube bass tone. But that doesn't mean it's for everyone. If you like versatility then you'll love the 300T. It's got two channels, a huge EQ section, and a built in compressor. Plus a footswitch to control all those options. Plus, within about 10 minutes of messing with my 300t, I dialed up a pretty cool SVT like sound. So you'll be able to get that tone plus a whole lot more.

There's my schpeel. Take it for what its worth. Another horribly biased opinion :)

11. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    JohnBegone and Son and everyone,

I just put new JJ/Tesla preamp tubes in the SUNN 300T to replace the Fender/Sovtek/Groove original Tubes that were in it. I did it by curiosity.

I found the Tone to be warmer and cleaner than with the Groove Tubes. I also noticed more output immediately from the JJ/Tesla preamp tubes. The overdriven Tone is great, likewise with the Groove Tubes. Overall, I find an added warmth to the Tone and a little bit cleaner with the JJ/Teslaé I will do the real test at next rehearsal and next gig.

12. johnbegone

johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Turlu, thanks for the heads up. I have not experimented with any other tubes other than the stock. I really like my overdriven tone right now on the first channel, but the second channel isn't quite what I'm looking for. It's got the ability to distort a crazy amount, which is cool, but it's not a very useable tone for me. I have it setup now so that my first channel is a more mellow, clean tone. my second channel is a more grindy overdriven tone (using the blend option) and then I use a separate distortion pedal for little odd parts that I just want to be wayyy too distorted (blues driver), not for an actual tone, more of just for crazy effects.

Any preamp tube suggestions to get the second channel sounding more vintage and less like a solid state distortion?

13. SVT CL ? No

Blueline SVT . . . oh yus :D

14. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    JohnBegone,

I also mix both channels to get the best of both worlds.

I changed all preamp tubes for JJ/Tesla ECC83S and ECC81 ( to replace the 12AT7 ). Gie it a try, you will not regret it. I found the overdrive Tone to be a bit warmer and vintage with this swap.

Any questions, let me know !!

15. Once you decide to get rid of the 1200S give me a call!
    :smug:

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea I know I definately won't have any troubles selling this amp if I can find a 300T :)

17. There getting REALLY hard to find! I have been searching ebay for about two weeks now...and nothing. Its depressing!