Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 300 watt head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Just heard a bassist in Phoenix over the weekend using the new fender bassman combo with the 300 watt head and 2 10's, + he had an SWR Goliath III cab.

Anyone else play the combo or hear one somewhere? Other opinions if yes?

Sounded good for slapping but he only was slapping about 1/5th of the time or less. The rig had no definition for finger style playing at all. Hard to believe you can have 6 10 inch speakers and a Fender Jazz Standard bass and not have definition on literally every note. The room wasn't perfect acoustically by any means, and although this guy had chops out the ying yang, both slapping and fingerstyle, his rig sounded mediocre at best. Their drummer, keyboardist, and female vocalist were EXCELLENT, as was the bassist. It just was ashame that someone playing full time, which he does by the way, as good as he is, doesn't have a finger style sound that works in his group.

That's why I went with EA's from SWR's. Again I don't slap except on a small part of a very few songs, so my rig is set up for finger style. Does my slap sound come across as good as the guy above. Probably not, but it's at least "adequate". No one from my group has complained it's too piercing sounding or needs to sound more like "Marcus" or anyone else. I know it's not perfect.

But, myfingerstyle sound is set up to be clean, punchy, high's, lows, and mids all in there, and I really believe that because of using a much more powerful head turned down slightly, that I have a lot more definition and clarity, especially when combined with smaller cabs using more, but smaller speakers.

Other opinions welcome as always.

LKaye