Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Virus, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Please don't hate me over this thread if it's been done.

I searched for info and found some, but not what I was looking for.

The specs say it is 300Watts, and is switchable from 2,4-8 Ohms and has a clean channel and a dirty channel. I would like to know is what the power ratings are at each resistance settings, and does it have split power? (IE: 150Watts per side) I'm looking for more in depth information like that. And yes I know that it is the same as the Sunn but I'm after the new Fender specifically because that's what will be in stores.

Also, if anyone knows why they discontinued the Bassman 215 cab?

Last question, what 15" or 18" inch cabs would work well with this amp, I would prefer 2 1x18" cabs, I ask because Fender does not have 18" cabs, or at least not on their site...

I think most of you understand what info I'm after.

EDIT: I'm looking for cabs with the warmest, mellowest sound possible, nothing too punchy.

2. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Toob amps are a little different to SS.... The amp will put at 300watts no matter what load it's under. It just uses different impedence taps off the output tranny.. Its also a mono amp ie... no split output. It's 300 glorious toob watts no matter what. You can go one channel or the other, or a mixture of both...

I've only played the Sunn equivilent but it's a fine amp. Am still trying to convince myself to spend the munny & buy it. Am tossing up between that and a Traynor YBA200 which is half the cost new of the 2nd hand Sunn head ( Aussie dollar sucks )

Happy Australia Day ( What am I doing at work??? )

3. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Danm.

Anyone know some nice big, heavy 18" cabs that are really warm and mellow that would work well with this amp?