1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rock-Bassman, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    This is a quiky, the Sunn 300t is basically the bassman right? Me and my other pal got into a friendly argument I said it was REALLY close if not the same as the sunn... he thought otherwise.

2. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    i think is exactly the same.bassman is made in mexico though.sunn is usa made.

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    They're essentially the same amp.

Kinda like a Blueline SVT vs. An Ampeg SVT-VR.

Close, but not EXACTLY the same.

4. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    okay. thank you. that's all the proof i'll be needing :p ha gotta go collect el moola :)

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Other than the badge and graphics, what's different?

To my knowledge, the guts are identical. I also owned the solid state version of this amp, the 1200, in both the "Sunn" and "Fender" versions. They were exactly the same, except one had a red circuit board instead of green w/ extra heat sinks...

6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    The original and re-issue svt's are supposed to be the exact same, but some of the parts have changed, correct me if i'm wrong, and they can't sound the EXACT same.

I'd imagine the same thing happened with Sunn and Fender, to lesser degree. They're pretty much the same.

7. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Not a great comparison, but I see where you're going...

The 70's "Blue Line" SVT's and today's VR's were made 3 decades apart and by different actual parent companies and in different factories! The components, tubes, etc have changed over 30 years, so you're right that they are a little bit different from each other.

The Sunn/Fender 1200's and 300 Bassman/300T amps are still being made by the same people and in the same factories (mostly in mexico, iirc). The only significant difference is the screen graphic printing and name badge. The circuitry is, for all intents and purposes, identical. Recent changes to the solid state 1200's included better heat sinks, but they are still 99% identical as well.

..remember that the "Sunn" brand from the 60's was not the same "Sunn" that Fender resuscitated in the 1990's! Fender bought the Sunn name & intellectual property, but the actual amps being built were being made by Fender in Fender facilities.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Your pal might be confused with the older Sunn Model T heads. They're quite a bit diferent from the Sunn 300T/Fender 300pro.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Not to completely hijack the thread - but since we've established that the Sunn 300T and the Fender 300P are identical can any one tell me if they have any gig experience with either of these amps. I was looking at buying one the other day and did a quick background search on TB and found lots of opinions on the sound but not a lot of info on how well they hold up in real life full gig mode over a period of time. I'd like to get a great sounding tube amp that will have some longetivity and is reliable. Any long term 300P/300T users out there?

10. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I've heard the 300(T/P) is an SVT-CL, but better.

Its a great amp from what I've heard. I almost got one on craigslist but I couldn't get the dough.

11. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Other than having to upgrade the fuses so that they would not keep blowing i have had no issues with mine. great amp overall...

12. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Yep. I've toured extensively with my 300pro for years.

The only problem I had was related to a highly defective tube. About a month into a tour, one of my tubes literally arced and started smoking. I replaced the tube, re=biased and went on my happy way. The amp kept working normally for about a year & then stopped making sound. It turned out (on my techs close inspection) that the faulty tube had actually drawn so much current that it had melted part of the tube base & nearby components were scorched! He installed a new base, cleaned up the damage & it's functioned perfectly ever since!

I do recommend installing a fan in the amp chassis to draw a little cool air past the tubes & tranny's. In my opinion, the amp runs too hot & the chassis gets a little too warm to the touch. I did the mod myself for less than $20 and less than an hour of labor.

13. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Right, but isn't the old "Model T" a 100w guitar amp?

14. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I think it was a 200 watt general purpose amp.

The reissue was, boy did it sound great.

15. I keep hearing good things about this amp. I may have to grab one, although I'm a bit spoiled of late with the light weight of my Markbass LMII. Going back to a heavy tube amp better be worth it in the tone I get! :D

16. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    The 300 is heavy! Also, it's loud. Make sure you have a proper cabinet, venue, and band for this sucker. It's no cocktail-hour jazz amp!

17. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    The Fender 300 pro is the only amp I'm gassing for. Too bad it's OD is so very lousy. Wonder if there's a mod available to get the OD sounding more like a smooth rich overdrive, instead of a distortion pedal.

18. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe Psycho Bass Guy could help you with your question.

19. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    In my experience with the amp I have found 3 relatively cheap "fixes" for the OD.

1. Only use the OD for mild settings and blend in a good amount from the clean channel. I found it is best not to use the compressor if you are blending the two channels together as channel 2 adds quite a bit of compression.

2. Experiment with different preamp tubes in the V1 and V2 positions. Not only different brands of 12ax7's but you can also try different tube types. I liked the JJ ECC803, a little smoother sounding than the stock tubes. The JAN Phillips 5751 will give you a bit lower gain and not as fizzy as the stock tubes.

3. Buy a nice OD pedal. I had great success using a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive with this amp. Turn up the master volume on the amp to full, and use the gain to adjust the volume, and the Sparkle Drive to push the amp into OD. I was able get a thicker/richer sounding overdrive.

20. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I do not agree with this observation. I quite like the OD sound coming from my amp. But lets agree to disagree. ;)

I love my Bassman 300 Pro.

You will too.