Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Does anyone know anything about this amp. I'm a fan of Bassman products so I'm considering one of these. Umm, anyone know anything about the Bassman 1200, it's tube and solid state, but does it sound more tube or solid state. I know this is vague but please help. Thanks.

2. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Yo Driver,

The Sunn 300T is a Bassman 300 and can be had for a song these days. The problem is FINDING one. The 300T sounds MUCH different than the 1200. Another benefit to the 300 is that you can actually heat your apartment with it........and impress the ladies with the muscles that you'll develop from carting it around.

RB

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have a Sunn 1200S and it is a great amp. Wonderful tone and crazy loud.

Chuck

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The 1200 is a hybrid, and the 300, like Rich said,
    is the former Sunn 300T, a powerful tone monster that will almost throw the earth off it's axis. You can't go wrong, just remember it is heavy at 75 lbs.
    Leverage is the key when moving it around, and keeping it up off the floor is a big help. I just move it from the top of the 410 cab into my truck's cab and back. If you have to carry it alone, just grab both handles, keep the transformers close to your chest as you swing it up from horizontal to vertical positions. I'm good for at least 100 ft. Whew! My lady says I'm muscular...no gym needed.
    It's taken me some time to discover which settings sound best with my different basses, but the bottom line is, if you are a tube lover, or willing to convert, you won't regret it. With two channels, split band compression, and all the eq you need, it's got your basses covered.
    If you get it, drop me an email, and I'll give you some of my favorite settings.
    May the blessed all-tube tone of this beast fill your sails as you voyage thru a brave new musical world.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'm seeing these new going for around $1100 in madison--what are you seeing for prices?

6. 1,119.00 is the list price on musician's friend where I saw them. I don't know about guitar center I'll have to make a trip and tell you.

7. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i've tried a 300T several times, and one is in my future! I'd be intersted in your settings suggestions--especially for a very dirty, very deep tone 'ala allen woody, felix pappalardi/jack bruce/cream type! thanks!

8. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I lucked out and got one for 900 brand new! I originally got it for 800 from music123.com (factory seal opened), but it blew a fuse on me within a couple of days so I had to exchange it. They wouldn't give me a new one for 8, but they settled for 9. Check out the online music sites. You might get a deal like I did!

9. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I'm confused. They sold you the amp "NEW" for $800 but it was unsealed. It blew up......so they sold you ANOTHER "NEW" amp for $100 more?? Tell me that I'm missing something here. :)

RB

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I hear ya that don't sound right!!

I passed by I'm guessing a late 60's or early 70's Sunn 300T at a guitar show on Sunday in Auburn MA. The price was like 425.00 or something rediculouse and it was nice and clean!! If I didn't just by a early 70's SVT that baby woulda came home with me...

11. Where in Auburn was that show? I never heard anything about it. Do they happen often? Am I invited? :D

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Tom Absolutely!! These shows happen 4 times a year twice in Auburn and twice in Waltham which is bigger.
    The next one is in Waltham at the the high school on May 18th and yes Basspalace will be there also.
    Here's a website with all the shows.N.E. Guitar Shows

13. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    "I'm confused. They sold you the amp "NEW" for $800 but it was unsealed. It blew up......so they sold you ANOTHER "NEW" amp for $100 more?? Tell me that I'm missing something here.

Oops, what I meant is that they didn't have any more "not factory sealed" fender bassman 300's in stock. Since it was not factory sealed, I originally got it for 8. However, they were going to just give me a credit on my account for 800, which I then could apply to the 1200 price tag for a new one. However, they mislead me on the phone about this and I ended up talking them down to 900 for the brand new, factory sealed bassman 300. Hope this clears things up!

14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I think that I'll just sit and ponder this one for a bit.

Enjoy the amp........it's awesome. ;)

Peace,
    RB