Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 400 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by finn74, Dec 17, 2001.

1. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Who has tried out this new Fender Bassman Combo and what is your review?

2. Hey Finn74, welcome to Talkbass. In July of 2000 I tried every Fender amp in the store, and wound up buying a Bassman 60, which dropped dead on me about two months ago, but as for the 400, it's got a lot of power and I really liked all the tone controls on it (it's got a bunch of them) but, if I were going to buy this amp, I'd buy the head separately and a bottom, but, that's just my opinion. It's got a good sound, very much like the Fender amps of the 60s and 70s. After my Bassman went kaput, I bought an Ampeg, and now am sold on them for life. It has a much warmer and sweeter tone than the Fender, IMHO. If you're going to buy one new, they're about $1,000.00 For that kind of money, you should look at a lot of other amps, but, if you really want the Fender, go for it. I'm sure some other members will recommend some other names.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey finn74, I noticed in your profile that you have an Ampeg svtIII and Eden cabs. Sounds like a sweet setup. What would you be using the Fender for? I agree with Mike though, for that $$$ you have a lot of choices. Let us know how you plan to use it and maybe we can throw out some ideas as of what other combos you may want to look at.

Speaking of profiles... Mike, I think it's about time you edited yours. I can think of 2 good reasons to:D

4. I'd just like to point something out for you. I did the math before, and for the price of that combo, you could buy that head seperately and the Fender 410 cab for a price around that. Maybe even slightly less.

5. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Yes I do have the SVT 3 Pro and Eden Cabs but I play a number of Church gigs where as I'm ready to leave after playing. I wanted a nice good sounding combo to get in and out. The bassman here can be purchased for around 8 bills as opposed to SWR and Eden $1200

6. Finn, it is a good amp. I've never owned one, but, I've played it in stores a few times, although I never cranked it. It has a good tone, and, it's got an effects loop, which is nice to have. If you can get one for about $800.00 that sounds like a deal. They're $909.00 before tax, brand new in New York.
    I'm pretty sure you can add an extra cab too. BTW, where are you located?

Mike J.

7. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm located in Maryland but 2 stores in nearby Virginia are offering them at $825. Who knows I may be able to bargin for a flat 8 bills

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I liked the 400 but at the time could only afford the 200.
    Kinda wish I would have waited until I had some extra $.Oh well.....

9. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I tried one and liked it a lot.A friend who was there with me liked the 200 with the single 15 better but what does he know ? He's a drummer.I ended up getting a Sunn 1200s with a 4x10 because I wanted more headroom and was leary of the Fender's plastic input jack,and other stoopid things like that.