1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 400 opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by submariner, Nov 29, 2006.

1. looking for opinions on the Fender Bassman 400 (circa 2001) from current and previous users. How was the overall use and performance? Any problems with the amp? just general information on how you thought the amp sounded.

2. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I owned on for a few months. Just sold it actually. It worked perfectly. I had bought it used back in September or August, can't remember now. My main issue was the weight and size. 80 lbs, and roughly the size of most 4x10s. However, it was a tone machine. Very flexible with the semi-parametric EQ engaged. I also really liked the room balance control. The compressor worked well considering you have almost no control over it. Good for evening things out just a bit. Definitely didn't have any problems with the amp, other than it was missing the tweeter knob when I bought it. Didn't sound half bad with URB either, if the tweeter was turned off. I guess I did find the tweeter to be a bit harsh.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Came very close to getting one a while back ... spent quite a bit of time with them ... nice amp, kind of a sleeper actually ... I was mainly interested because it was capable of a 2 ohm load, but in the end I was won over for a smaller, lighter, more portable head ... I did try a couple combos too, and preferred the 10's to the 15 cab ... all in all, if it was smaller/lighter and a tad cheaper, I would have one ... there is a lot to choose from in its price range, and like I said, it doesnt get its fair share of looks ... good amp though, if you like it you sure could do worse ...

4. I really like the 400 as a basic gig amp, it has enough power and can take an extension cab... it's also available as a head. It has a really nice fast, clean tone. I would check out the Genz benz GBE600 though for roughly the same price and power... It's 1 up in the tone department too IMO (I like the mixeable tube/ss preamp option)