Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 400 opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phil_chew, Mar 11, 2002.

1. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    You may think I am crazy, but I tried both the Bassman 400 and the SWR Super Redhead and my ears seem to prefer the tone I get from the Bassman. It seems warmer, thicker and has slightly more low end than the SWR. I am a little surprised as I had expected the SWR to blow away the Fender. Anybody else has that same experience?

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    It's called coloration. Depends on what you want. The Bassman is, like a lot of mass-produced bass amps, heavily colored in the low register. The SWR, less so.

3. Phil_chew, I've played through the Bassman 400 a few times and liked it. I bought a Fender Bassman 60 almost two years ago, but, it died on me last October. The new Fender Bassman series sound pretty good to my ears, but, after my 60 went to its great reward, a bunch of guys here recommended getting an Ampeg, and I am so glad I did. The Fenders sound good, but, to me, the Ampegs sound better. If you like Fender better than SWR, you just might like Ampeg better than Fender. Check them out.

Mike J.

4. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    I too went shopping for a new combo and tried all brands, SWR, Ampeg, GK and of course Peavey. I expected the SWR and GK to blow the Bassman away. I was quite suprised to find such nice thick lows and crispy highs in the Bassman. I went back a week later just to check myself. Fender has finally produced a Pro Quality bass amp. It's Great!
    I decieded to purchase the Fender. Its hundreds of dollars cheaper that any of the other brands and the 5 year warranty is assuring. Yes!

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The Fender Bassman was one of the amps I test drove the Cirrus thru, I liked its tone and thought it was a pretty decent amp.

6. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Thanks for all the info, guys. I'm seriously considering buying the Bassman.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sorry I'm late on this one. :) I went to Guitar Center in Queens & I had the same experience as finn74 (except I didn't try a Peavy BAM 210) I was VERY impressed w/the Fender BassMan 400.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    An acquaintance has one with an RBI plugged into the accessory rack space - a very nice combo, indeed!

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    one thing i forgot to mention in my previous post about the bassman 400 2x10 that impressed me the most. I had to back off the gain and lows to stop the amp from clipping, and its still had gorgious bottom end.

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, does anyone know whether the rack space of the Bassman 400 allows to insert a rackmount wireless unit, such as Nady with its antennas on the rear side ?

All the best,