Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 400 pro HD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vmac, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Vmac

Vmac

Feb 18, 2005
    What do you think about this head ? I've played a bassman 250 combo in a practice studio and really liked the sound of it. I originaly planned to buy an Ampeg b2re head...how does this Fender head can compare

2. you will probably get very few responses regarding this amp, as I believe that the fenders are priced fairly highly in alot of countries. I did however A/B this amp against the Genz Benz 600 (i know, the 400 would have been a fairer comparison, but it was the tube in the pre that I wanted to compare...) and the Genz had a much more versatile and fuller tone IMO.

The fender is very clean and sort of SWR like (I'm not sure if the 400Pro came out before or after they bought SWR?) but considering the amp has such a vast (eden like) eq section, it doesn't really allow for that much variation in sound...?

It has it's own sound/colour, and the eq lets you adjust that, but not really change it (if that makes any sense?).

It is a very tight sounding amp though, best mated to a 210 and 115. can get a nice modern slap tone too if you play with the compression a bit and the boost buttons - I dunno how much more the 800Pro is, but it has alot more headroom, with the same eq section.
    These amps have a very harsh sounding preamp clipping sound, not like a hybrid amp, these are all ss.

I would probably still take it over alot of other amps in its price range though!

3. Vmac

Vmac

Feb 18, 2005
    thanks for the answer. That's all ? nobody else tried this ?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've played through one at Guitar Trader, and was favorably impressed by it. I'd say it's actually comparable to the Metro and Super Redhead, believe it or not. So, bang-for-buck-wise, I like it, and would be very comfortable gigging with one.

5. I've gigged on the 400pro combo several times and i like it a lot.. I reherse on a b2r together with a peavey115 Bw and i dont like that at all you just cant get good tone out of it..

6. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i have a 400 pro combo (2 10's + horn). it's a great amp. a lot of mid tone shaping options, builtin compressor (albeit simple), and it is powerful -- 350 watts but goes to 500 when adding the 15" extention. i have the gain up almost halfway to give me a nice subtle gritty sound.

the combo has a rack space that has a Korg (DT1000?) tuner. i do love this amp, except for the weight. it's 80 lbs. and heavy for an aging fart like me. that is the ONLY reason i'm considering selling it. hope this helps.

7. I can't say for the Metro, but I chose the 400 Pro 2x10 combo over the SWR Redhead back in June of '03. I imagine the 400 Pro HD is similar.

How much is the 400 Pro HD you're looking at? I very recently bought a GK 1001RB-II with a GK 2x12 NEO & 115 NEO cabinets. I really like this head more than the Fender. The Fender IS good, but I believe RMC Audio sells the GK head for about the same as what I've seen the 400 Pro HD go for at other online outlets.

8. adbarron

adbarron

Oct 27, 2005
    Maybe this is a thread hijack, but has anyone else been using this amp?

I have the head only version and run it through PRO 115 and PRO 210. I've had inexplicable volume drops during 3 of the 7 shows I've played with it. It seems to lose it's punch, but still works, so when it happens, I've been unsure if we just got louder (as we're prone to do) or something was wrong. I gave it the benefit of the doubt since it's brand new.

However, the last time this happened, I shut the amp off for about 15 minutes between sets. Upon returning to play, the knob settings for the previous set blew us all off stage, and I had to turn it down from about 9 to about 5. Whatever was wrong to reduce the volume was consistent for a long set.

I have read of problem just like mine on the PRO 800 at Harmony Central having to do with faulty connections on the power amp board.

Any ideas?