1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 410 L-pad repair??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregmon79, Oct 5, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have a fender bassman 410. It's not working at the moment but I'd like it to be operable again. The "L-pad" has gone out on it and I have no idea how to search for a replacement part for it. I've tried searching L-pad on google and it renders nothing. I don't know what that proper terminology is so I don't know what to search for. It's the part that has the tweeter knob on it. Can anyone help please or send me a link to a site I can find a replacement part. Thank you much!

2. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Anyone? Thought I'd get a little help on this already. Thanks!

3. Look at the Parts Express site.

4. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I don't know WHAT to look for.... I know what sites to go to, but I don't know exactly what to look FOR, you see??

5. L-pads usually come in 50W and 100W ratings. If you can fit the 100W version in the space you have that's what I'd put in.

6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

Do you know the proper terminology for the L-pad? I've tried searching that and it yields nothing.

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    null_zpsae14b94a.
    That's what the backplate looks like.

8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    How do you Know its the l-pad?

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    The proper name for an L-Pad is L-Pad or 'speaker attenuator'. Look at Parts Express in Speaker Parts. If you go to their site and enter L-Pad, it shows a page with several.

10. My thoughts exactly, how have you determined that it's "gone out"????

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I was determined a while back. I described the issues I was having to someone on TB but I never followed through with it. He said that because I had to bang on the back, which is what I had to do to get it to work, it was the L-pad. When I tried turning the horn dial on the back it would cut in and out. Then it would only work when the dial was maxed out. When that started cutting out I had to tap the back of the cab around the plate area and it would cut in and out. I checked the connections and all looked solid. The horn dial post won't even turn anymore. It's like stuck in the position it's in now.

12. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    What would cut in and out, the whole cab or just the tweeter?

13. Thanks for that Mr. B. :D

OP you need the 8Ω version.

14. No trouble ;)

15. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Thanks again B!! Always save the day :)

The whole cab cuts out btw to the above question. I know it's not the inputs. I can't remember exactly what tests I put it through but I remember that that was what was wrong with it exactly. It was a while ago I did it.

16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This is the part. I just removed it from the cab.
    null_zps7fadd0d4.

17. It seems unlikely to me that a bad L-pad would make the entire cab cut out. The L-pad should be between the crossover and the horn, and not affect the woofers.

18. I agree with Bill. If the pad won't turn then it needs to be replaced. my earlier posts still apply. Having the whole cab cut out is a different kettle of fish. You need to trace back the wiring from the woofers to determine where the bad connection is.

19. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Thanks for posting that picture. troubleshooting and fixing this stuff for years, these are my assumptions.

You bang on the back of the cabinet to get sound. = You have a cold solder joint on that pc board. check with close up reading glasses under a bright light and stress the board, you will see something moving. Thats the culprit.

L-Pads are on a separate circuit from the woofers, your L-Pad could be on fire with molten lava pouring out of it and the woofers would still pass signal.

You Fender cab was probable made in China or elsewhere.

All the input connector jacks including components coming from that part of the neighborhood are CRAP.

I can't tell you how many made in Indonesia 1/4" jacks I've replace in over 25 years. You could have a visual check on the connections but it's always something you can't see readily. Like I said, yank the hole board fire up your soldergun and go hunting.

Piezo tweeter right?

Those has low output. I'd bypass the L-Pad all together and just hardwire that in the circuit.

Just my two cents. If you don't have the tools or soldering skills there always plan B.