1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Bassman 500 Head Issues ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eckie, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    I bought a Fender Bassman 500 Head and 410 Neo in December - absolutely killer sound in a fairly light and compact package.
    The problem is that the Head has failed twice within the space of two months. It fails to switch on. I didn't get a repair report back after the first incident. I'm going to ask BAX for a replacement rather than a second repair. Hopefully this isn't a pattern type failure but if anyone has any similar experiences I'd appreciate it if they could let me know

2. The closest I can relate to is with one of these:
    : upload_2016-2-11_16-28-13.
    The knobs all came loose, and the circuit boards had to be replaced.
    I almost solved the issue with one of these:
    upload_2016-2-11_16-31-40.
    into its main power supply. Pure crap.

3. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

I had a Bassman 500 that didn't power up well. The Overdrive Channel had a problem. It's almost like the Bassman 500 should have a standby switch, like the Bassman 100T, and the Super Bassman have.

4. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Hmmm. The lack of anyone with similar experiences makes me optimistic that mine is just a rogue unit and that no pattern fault exists. BAX have sold dozens of these and only mine has ever been returned for repair. Fingers crossed with the replacement

5. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    So, @Eckie, how's the replacement? I'm interested in a Bassman 500, also. Haven't seen many complaints on TalkBass.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Only just got it two days ago. Got one gig and two rehearsals per week for the next 2 months so a good workout. Will let you know how it goes.
    As I said, it's a great sounding amp through a Fender 410 Neo. I've recently fitted a John East preamp to my Jazz V so now I've really got endless tone possibilities. A "downside" (if that's the right expression) is that the vintage channel is almost redundant now

7. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    So, @Eckie, did you get a good replacement? What's your current opinion of the Bassman 500?

8. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    3 weeks with new replacement and it's been switched on at least twice a day without problem. Played 3 gigs with it so far and for me it's the perfect package

armybass likes this.
  9. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    After 5 months of solid gigging my Bassman 50 refused to switch on before my gig last night. No pop, no noise, no light - just nothing when I threw the power switch. I'll be making a warranty call to Fender on Monday.

murphy and rodl2005 like this.
  10. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Still a worry then! I should maybe get a cheapie backup like the TC Electronic BH250?

11. The Bassman 800 is coming by the looks of @tombowlus post re -
    Still. .the Super Bassman will keep doing me juuust fine!

gsgbass likes this.
  12. I'm a little more partial to the GK MB200. That thing is tiny and a firecracker for sure!

13. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    I got mine in the mail from Sweetwater today, didn't come with the speak-on cable as advertised, and instead a quarter inch cable which leads me to believe the version I got was someone's return. I plugged it in and it sounds great, has some good tones, but I also found turning down the tone on my bass killed a lot of the volume I got from the amp which doesn't make much sense to me. Anyone else had this problem on top of the powering up issues?

14. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Yes - just looking at that now - only a little more expensive (£250 in UK) and I've got good experience with GK amps previously

15. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Not had that problem with the Bassman 500 head per se. What bass are you using ? I had a couple of passive Jazz basses previously and if both volumes were at less than full, I noticed the tone control did have a marked effect on the volume. Both my Jazzes now have on board preamps so no longer a problem

16. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    I'm using a Lakland 44-51, pretty much a telecaster bass type with a typical P-bass split coil

17. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Dropped my amp into Fender Australia this morning and this afternoon their tech phoned me to let me know it's been fixed. Apparently there is a well disguised fuse somewhere on the main board, underneath the Class D power amp module. He said there was no sign of any issue other than the blown fuse, which doesn't make sense to me, especially when he added "approx 1 in 5 of these amps has had the same problem, but after replacing the blown fuse they have had no further trouble".

Fingers crossed he's correct LOL

murphy and G-Dog like this.
  18. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    Hmm... The first unit I had failed twice but I don't know if they replaced the fuse or did something else on the first repair. After the second failure, it was replaced by a different unit and that's run without problems since the end of March It's been switched on an off at least once a day since then. I still get an uneasy feeling about this though and really need to pull the trigger on a backup.

19. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

The one thing that would not make me feel to great about using the Bassman 500 after hearing the 1 in 5 statement, is the blown fuse. What causes the blown fuse, and how many more times can this be an issue with the head? I don't regret getting out of the Bassman 500.

20. jdubbass38

jdubbass38

Mar 20, 2009
    Been using the bassman 500 for almost a year...no issues so far.

Eckie and Backdrop like this.