Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender bassman 60/100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmy ray, Jan 9, 2003.

1. I was at the shop today, and I tried out both of these amps, and I liked both very much. My question here is, they have an 8ohm external speaker jack on them. Does this mean that with the 100 I will be able to use an 8ohm cab with it, but only feeding it 100w? would it be the same for the 60 but with 60w instead of the 100w.
    Does anyone here have any experience with these? Its not a main selling point for me, and as soon as I can get the cash I will be getting one, but if it works...
    thanks for your help

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    You need to check the power rating of the amp for specifics, but by adding an extension cabinet, the total power of the amp will be shared between the combo speaker and the extension speaker.

The amp will likely produce more overall power with an extension cabinet attached. For example, the combo by itself may produce 100 watts with a total load of 8 ohms from the internal speaker. When you add another 8 ohm speaker, you will reduce the load on the amplifier to 4 ohms, which will allow it to generate more power, maybe in the neighborhood of 120 watts. Then, the internal speaker and the extension cab will each get 60 watts. Like I said, look at the specs for total power with and without the extension cab, or for power ratings at 8 ohms (no extension cab) and 4 ohms (power with extension cab).

You probably want to search the forums and do more research into determining what extension cabinets would be safe to use, how the idea of resistance (ohms) works.

3. gdflash

gdflash

Dec 12, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have the Bassman 100, and am kind of on the fence about it. I had an Ibanez fretless which I was playing through it, and it never seemed to generate the kind of volume and punch I was looking for. I have a Fender Jazz now, and am more pleased with the sound I can get now, but it still doesn't go loud enough for me.
    As for adding an extension cab, I have never tried that, and really am not sure if the particular one I have will allow me to do that or not.
    The amp is nice and rugged, however. I have had it for almost a year now ( bought it used ), and have never had any trouble from it.
    I am taking it to a gig on thursday to see how it performs with the new bass, how it cuts through the guitar and drums, etc... I'll try to remember to post the results.
    Btw...I only paid $325 for mine, I think they are 5 or 6 hundred new. For that money, I would recommend trying out the ampeg 100w combos or even the GKs. Make extra sure before you drop that wad of hard earned cash...;)