Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman 60!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WATCHTHECHORD, Nov 7, 2003.

1. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    Im interested in buying this amp combo for my home practice use, i am a beginner and just need a good quality practice amp for a few years, does anybody have any experience with this set-up..local sam ash has it for 389.99....thanks in advance.

2. I bought one used at GC for 275 and it's worked pretty well for what it does (also home practice). But if I could go back and choose again I'd probably just pick up the Bassman 25. It's a great little amp that has neat features (CD-in, which my old 60 doesn't have) and it's A LOT lighter and more compact, so lugging it around from room to room (sometimes you gotta) is a breeze. Also it's 100 bucks cheaper new. Don't get me wrong though. I like my 60. But now that I've had a year or two of practicing under my belt I find that portability is a really good thing (which is why I also have a Peavey Microbass).

3. I'd definately recommend this amp.

I play my warwick thumb BO 4 through it and I loooove the sound. :D

Fender amps in general are nice though... if you want a good sounding practice amp go with the 25 or 60.

4. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I second Infernal Affair's suggestion. I have the Bassman 25 and am very pleased with not only its features, sound, size and weight, but also its output. It has been plenty loud for a number of small venue gigs (without drums and with only tastefully amplified guitars of course).

5. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    Well what should i buy? i want to get something that i will be able to use if i gig in a year or two, will this suffice?....the 60 or the 25..as long as either has a headphone plug in, so the neighbors cant hear how horrible i play...thanks.

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have the 60, and it can sound pretty good, but i dont like it. it is a pain in the ass to lug around and there is an awful hum that it produces whenever it is turned on.

ill probably get a small head and single cabinet when i get a new setup.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Im interested in buying this amp combo for my home practice use"

There you go. Good practice amp. Maybe not enough juice for gigs (unless you're playing a coffee house, and a quiet one at that).

My 2c worth would be, get yourself the least expensive amp you can live with, for now, and then when gig opportunities arise you can make a decision about a gigging amp at that point. At this point, there's no need to think that far ahead.

We used to have a saying in the old days, "practice for four hours a day, and when your tubes wear out you're ready to gig". Well, it's not quite that bad, but you get the idea.

One excellent learning method that's helped me a lot, is to go to a lot of jam sessions. Try to hit as many different ones as you can, blues, rock, jazz, whatever. You'll get real good real fast (plus you might learn some stuff you wouldn't otherwise be interested in, and breadth of experience is always a good thing).

8. I agree 100%.

Worry about getting your bass playing/reading chops together first!

[​IMG]
    Treena