Fender Bassman 610 Neo VS. Ampeg SVT 610HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodslinger, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Fender Bassman 610 Neo

2. Ampeg SVT 610HLF

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rodslinger

Rodslinger Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    Which one would you use and why. Pros/cons & anything else that comes to mind.

2. I'd take the Fender. ..if only coz it's 10000000000000 lbs lighter :cool::roflmao:
    Seriously.
    But. ..also seriously. .. the Bassman Pro Neo line of cabs are really very good. .. not saying that the Ampeg ain't a good cab at all. .. I've not owned a 610HLF bit did own the 410HLF. ..and really couldn't like that cab. .. too boomy and undefined. I've played the 610HLF and it's surely a different beast to the 410... much clearer while still warm.
    But. .. I now own a couple of the Bassman PRO NEO 115 cabs And these are superb cabs. I've heard nothing but great reports of the Bassman Pro Neo 610 (& all the other Bassman Pro Neo range)
    Good build quality, lightweight, great power handling capability, great looks and great tone. Is how I've come to describe the Bassman Pro Neo cabs. :thumbsup:
    Again. ...nothing against the 610HLF at all. . I'd happily gig one. But given the choice of the 2 . .. I'll take the Fender

Rodslinger likes this.
  3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have owned the Fender 610 neo and only sold it to get the 810 neo, although in hindsight the 610 would have done everything I need. The Fender is incredibly lightweight and easy to shift, the handle is at exactly the right height for an easy tiltback and I found it was easier to shift than any 410 I have owned. It comfortably handled everything I could throw at it, and the tweeter/horn was naturally integrated into the tone - one of the few horns I have left on. Heaps of punch and comfortable with old school and modern tones.
    Haven't played an Ampeg 610 hlf but I have owned the 410hlf and if the 610 hlf is similar then it is a very different beast to the Fender with much more weight and boom at the bottom. Fender is tighter and more controlled.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Of those two cabs, Fender by a mile. Just my opinion, but no contest for me :)

Rodslinger likes this.
  5. Rodslinger

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    I’ve owned the 610HLF and found it to sound great. Never got boomy on me and always stayed tight down low even with a low-B. I had two Fender Rumble 4X10s and they were absolutely horrible. I’m wondering if the Neo 610 will stay as tight down low as the 610HLF. How’s the midrange extension on the Neo 610? I live on well defined low mids.

dukeorock likes this.
  6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What did you not like about the rumble cabs? I had Ampeg 410 HLF and 610 HLF . They were very Bottom heavy not really boomy but somewhat muddy and undefined. . I am also looking at getting a Fender 610 Neo cab but would like to hear more opinions first.

Rodslinger likes this.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    been absolutely loyal to Ampeg and only have used 810E for zillion years

and have absolutely no interest in ever touching a hlf again

Rodslinger likes this.
  8. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Who are you asking? This thread is over 2.5 years old.

9. Rodslinger

Aug 1, 2013
    RVA & then some
    The rumble cabs sounded like they were full of hornets if that makes any sense. Buzzy with a ton of upper midrange sizzle. I’m a growling low mids kind of dude. The Rumble 410s just didn’t do it in a smooth way. Just not my thing. I’ve since gone back to Ampeg 212 & 810 cabs.

10. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I played (and still have) played Ampeg 810s for 25 years, still love them.
    I have had a Fender 610 Neo for 5 years, love it more.
    Weight difference is a huge factor, sound-wise it just sounds better, much more defined, even the mids,I love how it projects the sound all over.

Rich67 and Rodslinger like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021