Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender bassman 6g6-a question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mkex2, Jun 2, 2005.

1. mkex2

mkex2

Jun 2, 2005
    kentucky
    got this amp for free, found in a closet and know nothing about it,i traced the numbers on it on the net and it seems to date from 62 to 64, it has a large fender cabinet with 2 15 inch speakers in it, after a bit of cleaning i plugged it in to try it out , it still works but the sound distorts when you turn the volume up above 3 or 4 the pots were scratchy so i used wd 40 on then and that cleared that up but it still distorts,,,,what can i do to fix it besides taking it to a repair shop? id like to do it myself.i am by no means qualified to troubleshoot the problems with this amp,but im sure i can make any part for part replacement of caps or resistors. im basically looking for a starting point ,,,,,

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's SUPPOSED to distort... embrace the distortion, for it is the best part of old fender bassman amps.

3. If you don't have the technical background to troubleshoot the problem, there's really only one approach you could take yourself: change out every single part, one by one, until the entire amp has brand new parts.

Then the amp will have lost a lot of its vintage value, by the way...

Or you could get a few books on basic electronics (and read them!!), maybe take some electronics courses, get a schematic and a few basic tools like a good multimeter, then begin to troubleshoot the amp, replacing only what needs replacing.

Or just bite the bullet and take it to a tech. Ask him/her to recap it, to begin with, and replace tubes if need be. Ask for your old tubes back, by the way.

I'd recommend taking it to a tech. If for no other reason than this: tube amps have very high voltage in them (much higher than the voltage out of a wall socket). They can kill you if you touch the wrong place. I'm serious.

4. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    WD40?

Well, at least it's not a classic Fend... oh, wait...

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If it is from 62 to 64 the cab is not a Bassman if it has two fifteens. The only twin 15 Fenders of that period were the Dual Showman, loaded with JBL D 130s. Those should handle the 50 watt Bassman head no problem.

Fender (CBS) came out with a dual 15 Bassman cab around 1970, loaded with cheap Jensens, CTS or Utahs, and they were not capable of much. Most bassplayers of the day switched to Sunn.

Save the WD40 for your lawnmower; use a proper electronic cleaner for amp pots.

6. I happen to have an early 70's Bassman cab with 2 Utah 15's. And I also have a Sunn 2x15 from the same time frame.

You are exactly correct. The Sunn is far superior to the Fender Bassman, both in sound and in cab construction. Though my Sunn had two CTS speakers (I believe that's who made the Sunn transducers)...I replaced them with JBL 2226's and the cab now totally ROCKS.