Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Bassman Amp Trouble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blunk, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Hi,

I'm having weird and terrible trouble with a Bassman 100 :crying:

when i turn the amp on - without any input going in, by that i mean no bass lead or effects etc - it honks, i can see the speaker cone has no damage.

i've put on the mute switch, turned the mids, trebles, bass, gain and volume off/on but it still honks...i have no idea why.

anyone else ever have trouble like that? any idea what the solution might be? before i haul it into the shop for help...cos i've got 3 gigs in the next 2 weeks, if i can fix it myself i'd prefer to.

2. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    Does it honk only when you turn it on, then plays normally after that? If so, I would suspect the capacitors in the power supply.

Does it honk and then not work at all? Still could be the power supply, the power amp section, or both. Tell us more about the symptoms.

3. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    After doing to checking today, when i turn the amp on it honks and i can't play through it at all.

when i plug a lead into my bass then the input on the bass, the pre-amp signal light flashes when i play the bass but there is no sound apart from the honking. So the amp is taking an input signal...the output is the problem.

when i turn the amp on/off there's a loud click from the amp, aswell as all the lights on the amp flicker - that never happened before.

4. Vicar Philip

Vicar Philip

Sep 15, 2004
    Illinois
    Sounds like something has blown in the output section. Seek professional help. Can you rent a rig for your upcoming gigs?

5. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah i'm gonna bring it to my local fender dealing shop - the place where i bought it - just have to wait for my folks to come back off holidays so the car is around to transport it.

i might be able to get a loan of a amp for the upcoming gigs, we've a gig tomorrow night so i might just go straight into the mixing desk for that gig.

thank you very much for your help,
    much appreciated!